Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Do people realize you can pay the fine and you don't have to buy health insurance?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Do people realize you can pay the fine and you don't have to buy health insurance?

Postby gifuhard » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 pm

you don't have to get health insurance if you don't buy any just don't tell anyone an if u get fined so what pay the fee on go on about ur day

whats wrong this nothing u don't have to pay ur not forced u just have to pay bit more taxes or a fine here or there an go on ur way
gifuhard

Postby whitney83 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:44 pm

gosh, did you also know if you think the govt needs more money you can sign over as much money as you want with no new laws ... no big deal , right
whitney83

Postby leonie61 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Sure you can pay the tax penalty but how does that help you become insured when you are sick or injured and end up with a $20,000 hospital bill. Why waste your money on a fine instead of using it to buy insurance and get a tax credit instead of a penalty ?

An adult who does not have health insurance by 2014 would be penalized $95 or 1 percent of income, whichever is greater, so long as the amount does not exceed the price tag of a basic health plan. But by 2016, the penalty increases to $695 for an uninsured adult, and up to $2,085 per household, or 2.5 percent of income, whichever is greater.
leonie61

Postby amaury » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm

The big problem is government overreach. No one can really deny the federal government's power to regulate the economy, even if that interpretation is becoming looser and looser by the day.

The argument that has reach the Supreme Court is that the government is now forcing* commerce, not regulating it. They demand you buy from the private sector or pay to the public sector. This is just my understanding, I'm sure the people who know more about it can describe the case more eloquently.
amaury

Postby marschall74 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm not paying a fine. I think health insurance is a scam. If the IRS attempts to fine me for exercising my freedom of choice by not buying it, I will send them a check minus the fine with a memo telling them to kiss my sack (I owe every year, because own my own business). They can come and arrest me if they want. I've covered my own medical bills for 3 decades. I've never taken a penny from the government and I've never stiffed a provider. If the government wants to provide a more cost effective solution I will take it, but I'm not going to shell out hundreds of dollars a month for a crappy high deductible policy that jacks up the rates at 5x the rate of inflation.
marschall74

Postby art51 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm not paying a fine. I think health insurance is a scam. If the IRS attempts to fine me for exercising my freedom of choice by not buying it, I will send them a check minus the fine with a memo telling them to kiss my sack (I owe every year, because own my own business). They can come and arrest me if they want. I've covered my own medical bills for 3 decades. I've never taken a penny from the government and I've never stiffed a provider. If the government wants to provide a more cost effective solution I will take it, but I'm not going to shell out hundreds of dollars a month for a crappy high deductible policy that jacks up the rates at 5x the rate of inflation.
well if someone holds a gun to my head and tells me to rape a dog, and i don't rape the dog and get shot, technically i wasn't forced to. i understand now, i was under the impression that democrats had developed hyper-brain control rays that force people to act against their consciences.
art51

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:17 pm

LOL! Do I even have to explain why that logic is convoluted.
Next you will say, you don't have to pay the fine if you dont want to, you can just go to prison instead
rodman

Postby christy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:22 pm

What is more of a hardship for the poor -- $35 for a state I.D. or a $700 to $1,500 fine for not buying health insurance mandated by the government?
christy

Postby eimar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:26 pm

why should i pay a fine? making people buy insurance doesn't make the insurance affordable for working people who are low paid but above the income limit.
eimar

Postby bradfurd » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Do you realize they can keep giving you a fine when you keep refusing to buy it.
bradfurd

Next

Return to Health & Medical Insurance