Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Pension Entitlements, Am I Entitled.?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby Achazyahu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:09 am

I have worked par-time most of my life because of children, caring for family and now in my fifties because of pain in my hands caused by arthritis. Someone has told me i won't be entitled to my pension as i haven't worked full-time and sometimes didn't earn enough to pay national insurance contributions only tax. Is this true.
Achazyahu

Postby Amd » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm

Possibly

But if you aint working at present cos of your hands, register as unemployed immediately

THEN get a sick note from your doctor and take it to the employment office, so that you wont have to keep going to the jobcentre to register ADN you will be entitled to statutory sick pay

(IT may well be that the SSP wil be more than you get from working part time.)

THIS way you will be credited with national insurance contributions and these will contribute to your pension entitlement

At LEAST - go see the job centre for advice

And contact the department of works and pensions for an estimate of any pension entitlements you have already got

(You can do this on-line on their website - Once you have registered with them they will send you your log-in code a few days later)

You can also ask them for any previous years with incomplete NI contributions so you can top these up for that year to count towards your pension.

(Its a VERY good idea- a full years contributions is around £700 - So even if you pay the full £700 you will get around £3.50/week extra in pension- thats over £150/year for a £700 contribution. = 23% return - a far higher rate of return than ANY savings scheme, and for partial contribution its even better)
Amd

Postby mccloud » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:44 am

Your best bet is to contact someone here to find out http://www.dwp.gov.uk/gov/
mccloud

Return to Life Insurance