Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

A New Dog - Vaccines, Registration, Insurance, Etc.? What Do I Need?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby Morland » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Sorry, I should have included a bit more details. He's 4 months old but I have him about 2 weeks. He's absolutely adorable border collie called Colt. We do everything together, even use bathroom together. I'm going to make an appointment as soon as possible. Oh, and what are estimate costs of vaccines, micro-chipping and insurance?

And thanks everyone for answers, found them very helpful!

Postby Whitford » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 am

Have you had the 1st vet visit yet? That's a need to do.

Insurance is optional. Registration is optional if you are referring to akc. License needed.

Training classes, perhaps? If puppy, a puppy kindergarten class held by a local obedience club. Check out your local pet supply stores for trainers too.

Neuter or spay? Yes, do consider. You did not mention age here so I am guessing you have a puppy.

What do you need? Again, pending age determines this answer a bit. Are you inquiring about supplies or what is required of an owner?

Educate yourself on this particular breed/breed mix so you can provide what it's natural tendencies require. (A working breed vs. say a non-working breed)

Know what people food the dog should not have: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.html

Supplies? Crate training for housebreaking? A gate partners nicely to separate rooms that are off limits.

Grooming? Are you doing the brushing & clipping? if not you may want to find someone to check out those nails before they get too long okay.

Edit: A border collie? Gotta have tennis balls! Costs may vary depending on your location. $100-150 or more easy for your 1st vet appt. I took a stool sample to our 1st appt. That total was $142. Neutering was $168 for our Lab. Plus at that time we had the dewclaws removed with the rem bone attached, another $195. License is under $10 here.

Postby garnoc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:19 am

Vaccines, license.
The dog should always see a vet within the first few days of getting a dog or puppy, no matter if it's already been to the vet or not.
Insurance is optional.
I've never had insurance for any of my dogs.
Owned dogs for over 20 years.
I do have a credit card from carecredit.com.
But so far I haven't used that, either, but I haven't had it very long.
Microchipping in most cases is optional.
Some come already microchipped.
You can look into that.
We haven't ever done it, and never plan to due to religious reasons against it.
We just keep a good eye on our dogs and haven't had any problems.
They aren't outside unless we are out there with them.

Your best bet is to talk to the person you got the dog from.

Edit: Registration and License are two different things.
Registration can only be done if both parents are registered with the same kennel club, and it's a purebred dog.

Postby Barney » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 am

Okay, so you need a lot of information here! I am happy to help you with the insurance recommendations and the vaccine info.
How old is your dog? If he hasn't had any vaccines yet, I would make sure to keep him away from parks, especially dog parks which are breeding grounds for bad dog diseases!

So, this website compares and contrasts the different animal insurance companies in great detail...super helpful - http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/pet-in...

Also, this page talks in depth about vaccinations and what is really necessary so that you don't over vaccinate your pup. - http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-va...

You might want to also consider getting your dog micro-chipped incase he gets lost.
You can talk with your vet about that.

Also, if you are interested in organic toys, beds and foods, this website is the best place to read unbiased reviews of all the above -

Edit: It's really tough to estimate costs of vaccinations because every vet office prices things a bit differently.
For me, each routine vaccination was around $50.
But, some cost more than others, so you're just going to have to ask your vet about that.

Micro-chipping costs me around $150 per dog, but again, that can vary quite a bit.

Insurance is where you really need to do your homework, because prices vary so much from company to company.
Plus, you don't want to pay for extra coverage that you really don't need.
Please check out that insurance reviews page I sent you and read over everything carefully.
If I were to pick one favorite Insurance Company, I would have to go with Embrace...but check them all out!

Have fun!

Postby Johann » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:48 am

I won't repeat what others have already said, but you should definitely take your puppy to the vet and they will give you all the necessary vaccines. Also, he should have come with some sort of papers to tell you which vaccines he has received.

Your vet should also prescribe you a monthly heartworm preventative and flea preventatives. There are some brands that include heartworm, flea, tick all in one medication.

The cost to microchip varies, but usually around $30 to $50. And cost to vaccines depends on what your pup has already received, but can by anywhere from $50 to $200 depending on your vet, etc.

Pet insurance is a good idea, especially for puppies as they can and will eat anything, and can get into all kinds of trouble which racks up the vet bills fast! I'd suggest starting at petinsurancereview.com to look at ratings and reviews.

Personally, I have Trupanion for my dog and am really pleased. They cover 90% of acutal bill and no claim limits or annual limits.

Good luck with your new puppy!

Return to Pet Insurance