Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Do I Need A Lawyer (garrett County Md)?

All discussions relating to Business Insurance and Business Finance

Postby elvio » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:34 pm

A few weeks ago I was pulled over in Garrett County, Maryland for speeding (I was eventually given a warning citation for the speeding violation, so that's a non-factor).
As a result, I found out my VA license had been suspended and I was arrested on the spot for driving with a suspended out of state license.
The following week, I discovered that my license was suspended due to an apparent lapse in vehicle insurance (the lapse never happened, it was a system error by VA DMV).
I had received no prior notice of this because DMV sent the notice to the address on my license, where I hadn't lived for a couple of years.
So, within two days of discovering the root cause I had the issue fixed and my license reinstated.
Still, I am required to appear at court in Garret County MD next week.
My question is this: Do I even need a lawyer? As stated above, my offense was driving on a suspended license.
The cause of the suspension was no fault of my own, simply a system error with VA DMV.
Two business days after the arrest my license was fully reinstated.
I have no criminal record of any kind, never even been in an accident or received a speeding ticket (knock on wood).
So, in summation, I have no criminal record prior to this incident and the incident itself was caused through no fault of my own.
I'm pretty sure I can gather paperwork from my insurance and VA DMV to show as much.
So, do I really need to pay a lawyer or track down a public defender to present what seems to me to be a pretty straight forward case that hopefully will result in little or no punishment? Thanks in advance for the advice.
elvio

Postby Kerman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 am

While you could get an attorney, you do not have to. If you have all the necessary paperwork, proving it was an error, and that VA reinstated your license, then there should not be an issue.
Kerman

Postby Snowden » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:37 am

You don't "need" a lawyer, but it will sure as hell help... I know I'd be getting one.
Snowden

Return to Business Insurance