Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Need a doctor's note, but have no insurance?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby bainbrydge » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:06 am

I am within my 90 days of hire, I work at a retirement community taking care of the elderly. I called out sick yesterday due to diarrhea (you can't come to work with a fever, diarrhea or when you're vomiting) I called out again today because I wasn't 100 % better. My fiancée had to make the call for me today because I threw up, and I have TMJ, and with the vomiting, came my locked jaw. The MOD told him I would need a doctors note because I am still within my 90 days. However, there was a bug that went around work last month that I caught (I have a very low immune system) and I had the same symptoms and I went home a couple hours after being there, and then came in feeling sick the next day too. My boss was actually there for the second day of my illness and told me I should of called off, my reply was "I thought I couldn't within my 90 days?" she replied "well, you're not suPPosed to, buuuut you weren't feeling well and shouldn't of come in and I feel bad you felt obligated to" I then wound up going home early that day too.

From this experience, I just took that the next time I'm sick, stay home. So I did, but now I'm being asked to bring in a doctors note, for proof that I was sick at all basically. But heres my problem, I have no health insurance, and the funny thing is, I qualify for health insurance through my employer next week, but until then, no health insurance to go to the doctors. And even if I were to go, what would they even do for me? "You have diarrhea? Well drink plenty of water so you don't dehydrate and try not to eat fiber, and if your diarrhea continues, then come back....." like seriously though?

I've been unhappy with my employer, as it is. The residence are my number one priority, and my employer hasn't met the expectations of them and in turn my expectations.

So what should I do? Pay a costly visit to an urgent care place for a doctors note? or explain I have no insurance and hope they don't can me or call them and tell them whats up and ask if I should even come in again. Even with all my debt I'm in I have no desire to work there anymore. But considering I need the paychecks and the insurance.... what else can I do?

And please people keep any rude comment you may have to yourself. I really just need some advice on the matter, preferably from someone who's been in the same situation or know of someone who has been?

I can try hard for this doctors note, and go to work for the logical reasons, the money and the insurance, (which will then in turn take 50% of my paychecks anyways) or go with my moral intuition and gut feelings and just skip out of the place?
bainbrydge

Postby kenta » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:15 am

Here's what I would do.....call and speak to your supervisor or human resources. Explain that you totally understand the 90-day thing, but........

(1), you don't have health insurance and it's at least $75 (or whatever in your area) for an urgent care center visit

(2), it's not like the doctor can "test" for a stomach virus. All they could state on the form was that when you were examined, you had an elevated temperature, if you had one. No one in the doc's office wants exposed to it, so it doesn't make sense to expose the medical staff and other patients to the stomach bug, especially when there's nothing the doc can do other than advise rest and increasing clear liquids.

See if they will accept your verbal explanation- if not, to be honest, I wouldn't want to work somewhere that the "letter of the law" was more important than common sense. From what you've written already, I don't think you'll be heartbroken if you left (on your own accord or at their recommendation!

Good luck!
kenta

Postby montrelle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:18 am

Here's what I would do.....call and speak to your supervisor or human resources. Explain that you totally understand the 90-day thing, but........

(1), you don't have health insurance and it's at least $75 (or whatever in your area) for an urgent care center visit

(2), it's not like the doctor can "test" for a stomach virus. All they could state on the form was that when you were examined, you had an elevated temperature, if you had one. No one in the doc's office wants exposed to it, so it doesn't make sense to expose the medical staff and other patients to the stomach bug, especially when there's nothing the doc can do other than advise rest and increasing clear liquids.

See if they will accept your verbal explanation- if not, to be honest, I wouldn't want to work somewhere that the "letter of the law" was more important than common sense. From what you've written already, I don't think you'll be heartbroken if you left (on your own accord or at their recommendation!

Good luck!
Be aware, that no urgent care will back date a note. All they will certify is what is happening on the day they see you, and you are or are not cleared to return to work. So that whole work note things puts medical people right smack in the middle of the business/employee dispute. I hate it. Because we do not back date, the employer may or may not accept it as well. A simple walk in urgent care visit cost can be all over the place. Call & ask first.
montrelle

Postby glinyeu52 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:25 am

Two practical needs are a job and good health, you've got both so I wouldn't let the job slip away so easily. People can be jerks but like you say what else can you do? I'd stick it out the 90 days and consider it at the least a learning experience for the next job. The 90 days proves that you are worthy of employment in that position for a future employer so that is something to fight for. That will reflect on you.

In the mean time you could go to the website below to just get the doctors note. It's $80 initially and $35/month. Good luck and thank you for taking care of the elderly despite this.
glinyeu52

Return to Health & Medical Insurance