Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

If my name is on the car insurance but I don't have ownership, am I stealing the car?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

If my name is on the car insurance but I don't have ownership, am I stealing the car?

Postby delmer36 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm

I need to drive up North to visit my family for a few days. The car isn't mine, but my name is on the insurance. Is that considered stealing?
delmer36

Postby mat93 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 pm

If the person who the cars name is registered under reports the car stolen, you could find a sticky situation. Its best to get the car in your own name so you won't have yo worry. As long as you follow speed limits and other driving laws you shouldn't have to be concerned w/ being pulled over
mat93

Postby kenley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 pm

If the person who the cars name is registered under reports the car stolen, you could find a sticky situation. Its best to get the car in your own name so you won't have yo worry. As long as you follow speed limits and other driving laws you shouldn't have to be concerned w/ being pulled over
That's highly unlikely that an insurance company would issue a policy in a name that was not on the owner's card. But to answer your question, the insuance card, even if it's in your name, does not give you the authority to use the car. Only the actual registered own can give that permission to you. So if you use it without that person's knowledge or permission, you are technically stealing the car.
kenley

Postby gofraidh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:17 pm

If you have permission from the owner no it's not stealing. For example my family has 4 cars. Even though I drive a Grand Prix I am listed on the Toyota pickup as it is cheaper for me. Even though I don't drive the pick up.

Hope that makes sense. Also have the owner write a letter saying it is ok for you to be in possession of the car. Keep it in the glove box in case you get stopped.
gofraidh

Postby jerrod » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm

All the insurance does is cover you in case of damage. It has nothing to do with who owns the car. The owner is the one who decides if you stole it or not.
jerrod

Postby coughlan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Not if the owner consents to you using the car. If he doesnt then you must not drive it.
coughlan

Return to Car Insurance