Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Moving To Canada

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

Moving To Canada

Postby Garrison » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi there,

First of all thank-you so much for taking time to read my and answer my question.

My family and I want to move to Canada. My husband is Canadian and has a Canadian Passport. We have a 3 year old Son who also has a Canadian Passport and his sitizinship card.I have a German passport. I must add that I am 4 months pregnant. We are currently living in Greece and really want to move to Canada. My question to you is even although my husband has been outside of Canada for so long(He left Canada when he was 21 and is now 35) will it be difficult for us to go back? He does have family there,they live in Montreal. He also has chances of finding a job before we go there. My second question is will we as a family have health insurance and get support from the state?

Thats all i can think of for now and am looking forward to your answer.

Thanks and kind regards

Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Moving To Canada

Postby abrao » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Dear Kim,

A Canadian citizen is free to return to Canada at anytime. Canadians married to foreign spouses may sponsor an application for permanent residence on their spouses' behalf before returning to Canada or from within Canada after returning to Canada. German nationals do not require a visa to travel to Canada as temporary residents.

It many cases it is better to apply for the permanent resident visa at the visa office responsible for your country of citizenship -- which is Berlin. This does not mean that you have to be there physically while the process is underway.

Given your family situation and that you have a young child and another along the way, it may be more prudent for your husband to ensure he has a job arranged before the family's move to Canada. You will all require private health insurance coverage for the first six months of your arrival in Quebec, if that is where you settle down. After six months, your husband and children would normally be covered by the Quebec medicare plan, but you would not until you obtained status as a permanent resident(a process that can take 8 to 12 months generally).

There would be no state financial support except possibly through family allowance benefits if you qualify.

Here are some links that you may find useful:


SPOUSAL APPLICATION PROCEDURES: OUTSIDE CANADAhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

SPOUSAL APPLICATION PROCEDURES: IN-CANADAhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Note that applications filed in Canada that are refused cannot be appealed before the Immigration and Refugee Board(IRB).

FAMILY CLASS PROCESSING MANUAL - IMMIGRATION CANADAhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Immigration officer guidelines for the processing of family class applications.

SPONSORSHIP EVALUATION MANUAL - IMMIGRATION CANADAhttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf

Immigration officer guidelines for the processing of sponsorships.


IMMIGRATION QUEBEC WEBSITE - SPOUSAL CLASShttp://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/forms/search-title/undertaking-appli...


It is always useful to learn from the experience of others. The following two links will give you a list of cases that were refused by visa officers and subsequently appealed to the Immigration and Refugee Board and to the Federal Court of Canada. In some cases, the applicants won the appeal, in others they lost.

IMMIGRATION AND REFUGEE BOARD(IRB) - DECISIONShttp://www.iijcan.org/en/ca/irb/index.html

In box one, type key words such as 'immigration', 'spouse', 'marriage', 'convenience,' to find decisions related to spousal applications.

FEDERAL COURT OF CANADA - DECISIONShttp://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/index.html

Use the search tool with key words such as 'immigration', 'spouse', 'marriage', 'convenience,' to find decisions related to spousal applications.

This response is for information purposes only. For professional immigration advice or expert assistance please contact me directly.

If this response has been helpful, please let others know by completing the AllExperts.com rating form.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson, CCIC*



353 Saint-Nicolas

Suite 307

Montreal, Quebec


T: 514-845-5454

F: 514-845-8174

[email protected]://www.morson.ca


*Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant(CCIC)

Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants(CSIC)

CSIC Member No M041310  
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:06 pm

Return to Seniors Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post