Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

If i moved to ontario canada tommorow, what would it take for me to be able to use there healthcare?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

If i moved to ontario canada tommorow, what would it take for me to be able to use there healthcare?

Postby amald74 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 am

Like does anyone know how long it takes to establish residency in Canada? or are there other steps involved? I plan on relocating to Niagara Falls soon.
amald74

Postby steward » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:48 am

Like does anyone know how long it takes to establish residency in Canada? or are there other steps involved? I plan on relocating to Niagara Falls soon.
Health care in Ontario is regulated under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan.
It's referred to as simply OHIP (pronounced "Oh-Hip") here in Ontario.
From the Ontario Government's OHIP website:

A resident of Ontario must have a health card to show that he or she is entitled to health care services paid for by OHIP. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care pays for a wide range of services, however, it does not pay for services that are not medically necessary, such as cosmetic surgery....

Eligibility

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.

Link - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/

If you're relocating to Ontario from another Canadian Province or Territory, keep using your current Provincial/Territorial health card till you're eligible to apply for an OHIP card.

If you're immigrating to Ontario from another country, well, you can't just up and move.

Not unless you've been approved and authorized to do so by the Federal Canadian Government via Citizenship & Immigration Canada:
Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Or by the Ontario Provincial Government's Ministry of Citizenship & Immigration:
Link - http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/english/

Depending on processing times, that could take quite awhile.
Right now, half the damn planet's trying to immigrate here and that's causing backlogs.
steward

Postby fergusson61 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:49 am

In order to move to Niagara Falls, assuming you are not a Canadian, you will need an immigration visa or some other form of visa that allows you to live and work in Canada. Without such a visa you will be unable to legally reside in Canada. Without being legally resident in Canada you are not eligible to receive medical benefits.

Sure, you can "visit" for up to 6 months at a time but that also would not allow you to participate in our medical program or to receive any other form of benefit from the Canadian government.

If you want to try, and I stress try, to qualify for immigration to Canada you can check out the requirements at www.cic.gc.ca
fergusson61

Postby austyn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:00 am

Since you cannot just move to Ontario you cannot get on the health care plan. The plan is for legal residents of the province. All New residents have the same waiting period of three months.

Start with a visa to come to Canada or work or live in Canada. As an American you can come to visit only.

If you wish to live in Canada and work and pay taxes you can get on the Medicare plan. The plan is not set up as a hello world come to Ontario and get free care. It is for LEGAL RESIDENTS only.

Apply for a visa and get in line over 700,000 applications are in front of you.

What are you bringing to Canada? . Do you have specialized education or job skills?
Free loaders need not apply you will not get a visa. Having the minimum requirements will not get you a visa there are too many applying

You can start the residency process from the first day you arrive in Canada it takes a minimum of five years to become a citizen it can take longer if you keep leaving the country or go on welfare . That can get you deported and banned from Canada. Employing illegal workers can result in jail time for the employer and jail and deportation for you.

See if you even have the basic requirements
http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

Part of the immigration process is a MEDICAL EXAM you are expected to be in good health before you can immigrate.

Have a nice day. Just showing up in Ontario does not qualify you to work or get government benefits.
austyn

Postby beecher » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:15 am

Since you cannot just move to Ontario you cannot get on the health care plan. The plan is for legal residents of the province. All New residents have the same waiting period of three months.

Start with a visa to come to Canada or work or live in Canada. As an American you can come to visit only.

If you wish to live in Canada and work and pay taxes you can get on the Medicare plan. The plan is not set up as a hello world come to Ontario and get free care. It is for LEGAL RESIDENTS only.

Apply for a visa and get in line over 700,000 applications are in front of you.

What are you bringing to Canada? . Do you have specialized education or job skills?
Free loaders need not apply you will not get a visa. Having the minimum requirements will not get you a visa there are too many applying

You can start the residency process from the first day you arrive in Canada it takes a minimum of five years to become a citizen it can take longer if you keep leaving the country or go on welfare . That can get you deported and banned from Canada. Employing illegal workers can result in jail time for the employer and jail and deportation for you.

See if you even have the basic requirements
http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

Part of the immigration process is a MEDICAL EXAM you are expected to be in good health before you can immigrate.

Have a nice day. Just showing up in Ontario does not qualify you to work or get government benefits.
Aces, once we start accepting applications, the process will be to get your landed status and obtain your PR, once you receive your Pr, which can take anything up to 24 months from the date of application, then you can apply for your health care and SIN. then the next process, is your citizenship, which you have to show continuous residence in the order of 1,300 days, every time you leave Canada, for a vacation somewhere outside the country, you have to add those days on.
beecher

Postby rafal62 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 am

Once you have permission to move to Canada (which takes years, and is expensive - assuming you are one of the few selected), you gain access to all services after 3 months. However, if you have a major health issue, they won't let you move to Canada. They want people who will contribute to the country, not be a burden. But, if you are healthy,and accepted, you apply for the card upon arrival, and it is effective within 3 months (often less).
rafal62

Postby leonidas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 am

You will need an immigration visa to establish residence in Canada.

No applications are being accepted until the end of 2013. If you apply then, it will take two years to become an immigrant if you are accepted.

Healthcare is available three months after you enter with your visa.
leonidas

Postby andreo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 am

u need to immigrate and that can take years,if you are not Canadian u pay first and get treatment
no freebees here. do u think u can cross the border and get free healthcare cause u are here or move here no way not going to happen.
andreo

Return to Health & Medical Insurance