Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Roamright Travel Insurance

3 Month Solo Travel - Rucksack Checklist Advice?

Going on a holiday? Get the right Travel Insurance!

Postby ricardo » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi,

This is my first ever solo travel and would love some advice for my Rucksack checklist.

I'm going to:

Thailand - 1 week in Bangkok, 1 week in Chiang Mai Elephant Conservation

Cambodia - 1 Week

Vietnam - 3 weeks (south-north)

Japan - from Hiroshima to Tokyo including climb of Mt. Fuji

Would really appreciate what you guys would recommend bringing to encompass my needs for all of these countries.

Also any other travel/itinerary advice would be great.

Matt
ricardo

Postby jung-hwa » Sat Sep 18, 1999 12:59 pm

Hi,

This is my first ever solo travel and would love some advice for my Rucksack checklist.

I'm going to:

Cambodia - 1 Week

Would really appreciate what you guys would recommend bringing to encompass my needs for all of these countries.

Matt
Make sure you have a strong back pack with good solid seams.

It should have not only shoulder straps but also a chest-band to keep the straps in place as well as a wide waist band, wide enough that you can tighten it hard enough to take some weight off your shoulders.

Remember, the weight. Maximum 10 kg (22 lbs) fully packed for carry on - never to be lost.

Three sets of everything, quick dry only. Check in the store where you buy your clothing. QUICK DRY. Wear one item, wash one and have one dry and clean as a spare at all time.

Blue Jeans may be "good" but they never dry. Can you find other pants? One extra pair in your pack.

Shoes: A good pair of hiking shoes, good and heavy and worn in. Wear them for a week or so, every second day, before you leave home.

No sandals, no sandals, no sandals. Wear a pair of strong well made light shoes. People with sandals will, inevitably stub their toes or step on something sharp. You are not walking the sidewalk in front of your mother's house on this trip! Don't worry about "warm feet", better comfortable feet than bleeding feet.

A light rainproof jacket and a light sweater to have under on chilly days, or nights.

A small camera. DO NOT bring your nice big SLR and lenses. The camera will become a liability. Use a small camera instead. For good pictures, bring one with a zoom feature. Remember memory cards. One in your camera and one that you swap EVERY day. Then, if you lose your camera you will only lose the pictures from every second day.

You missed the weight? No problem, check in with your hiking boots on your feet and your jacket and sweater on your arm.

Carry your passport in a pouch under your clothes. Make a photo copy of ALL your documents and place a copy at home, one in the bottom of your back pack and one that you scan and email to yourself.

Then, if you really lose EVERYTHING, you can go to the nearest internet cafe and open your won email and print out your copies.

Sleep with your head on your back pack if need be. Do not trust ANY ONE to take your back pack out of your sight. Do not put it in the luggage compartment on any vehicle. Sit with the backpack in your lap, always.

Bring a smart phone and communicate with the world via WiFi and Skype.

Bring converter plugs for the countries you are going to. Cheap, about $ 2 at any Radio Shack (USA) or The Source (Canada)

Print out the correct pictures for the plugs you need here. There is NO need for fancy converters, your electronics will work just fine on whatever power is in the wall.

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Get travel insurance that is all inclusive and will pay for air evacuation home. Small extra, could save you $ 250,000 if needed.

Ask your pharmacist about the wisdom of bringing stomach calming medication.

Don't forget your inoculations. NEVER drink a single drop of water or touch an ice cube. NEVER. All you drink must say "fizz" when you open the container. Don't be stupid and eat any fruit, salad or food that you haven't seen fried in front of your eyes. No salad, none, not a single leaf. No watermelon either.

When you have bought enough souvenirs, go to the nearest post office and mail them home.

In Hiroshima, see the "Atom bomb museum", on par with visiting Auschwitz in another part of the world.
jung-hwa

Postby crosby » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:58 am

Hi - I have done a lot of solo travelling (W Europe, E Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa, etc.).

Here are my 3 things I found usefl on my most recent trip (in Greece)...

1. If u use meds, pack more than u think u need (as u will eventually need them!)
2. Pack 3 pairs of good (foldable) footwear: hiking boots, sandals & runners.
3. Pack your smartphone: Wifi is now pretty much universally available and it is MUCH easier to use your smartphones now than to go to a grubby web cafe (except when u need print-outs). There are lots of websites for solo travellers that are good for hooking up with others. The best I have found are www.wandermates.com (new but good design), www.wayne.com (old but lots of people.)

Good luck!
crosby

Postby ferrell » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi,

I'm going to:

Cambodia - 1 Week

Matt
ferrell

Return to Travel Insurance