Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Roamright Travel Insurance

Is Malaria Preventable Without Anti-malaria Pills?

Going on a holiday? Get the right Travel Insurance!

Postby Orahamm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:15 am

I'm traveling to India next month to work there for a year. After I got my vaccinations the doctor issued me a prescription for 32 tablets of Malarone which is $170 (I don't have health insurance). Is there any alternative measures to avoid Malaria? I know wearing bug spray, using bug netting and stay in air conditioned buildings. Is there anything is I can do to avoid this outrageously costly drug? Are anti-malaria drugs less expensive and easier to get in India?
Orahamm

Postby Gann » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 am

I would not take Malarone every day for a year.
A you just found out, it is very expensive.
It's best for short trips.
Two alternatives are mefloquine, which is taken weekly, and doxycycline, which is taken daily.
The mefloquine is more convenient but gives some people disturbing side effects.
Nevertheless, most people tolerate it just fine.
Doxycycline will be dirt cheap, probably $10 a month or less.
That is what I take when I travel.
There are precautions you have to take with this drug too.
With both drugs, there are people who cannot take then because of certain medical conditions.
A travel medicine clinic is your best bet for this kind of advice, and they can give you any recommended vaccines.

If you try the mefloquine it is a good idea to start it 3 weeks before your trip.
That way, if you do not tolerate it, you can switch to something else.

cdc.gov/travel has links to the drugs and country-specific advice.

Yes, you will need a prescription. You can find a description of all the antimalarial drugs at the link below.
Only atovaquone-proguanil (Malarone), doxycycline, or mefloquine would be appropriate for the area you are visiting.
You can check with a pharmacy on the pricing of the different options, then consider speaking with the doctor at the travel clinic.
Just curious, what were you told to do after you got to India? The 32 tablets is only enough for a 3 week trip.
In the past, Malarone was not available in India, but it may be now.
You might want to check with people there to see what antimalarials are available there (and how much they cost) before you decide what drug to start on here.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2...
Gann

Postby Bryan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:21 am

Is Malaria Preventable
Bryan

Postby Ewing » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 am

I'm traveling to India next month to work there for a year. After I got my vaccinations the doctor issued me a prescription for 32 tablets of Malarone which is $170 (I don't have health insurance). Is there any alternative measures to avoid Malaria? I know wearing bug spray, using bug netting and stay in air conditioned buildings. Is there anything is I can do to avoid this outrageously costly drug? Are anti-malaria drugs less expensive and easier to get in India?
Ewing

Return to Travel Insurance