Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Life Insurance To Pay For Mother's Funeral

Funeral Insurance, Term Insurance and Burial Insurance

Postby Rousskin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:04 pm

I am the beneficiary on my mother's life insurance, she passed away in July. I had no say so in any of my mother's funeral arrangements. My oldest sister gave the funeral home my phone number and they are trying to get me to sign a paper for her life insurance. Do I have to legally sign for them to get the money or can they do anything if I do not sign? They do have the policy, but never had me sign anything while I was at the funeral home. Thanks
Rousskin

Postby ciyde32 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Jamie,

I am so sorry for your loss.  I have lost both parents and know what it feels like.  Iyt also seems you have some other "issues" with this and I am sorry for that as well.

When someone is assigned as a beneficiary...and they have been contacted, etc. they have to sign over the proceeds for the funeral home to be able to collect on for the bill of the services provided.  As far as I know, they can do nothing but they could refuse copies of death certificates I suppose that you might need for other things until their bill is settled.

As far as I know, you have to sign it over so the funeral home can get paid using that policy.  I can assume that the arrangements were not paid for any other way and that this policy is THE payment.

I have never had a situation where the policy had not already been signed, but to my knowledge they need your signature as approval to get those funds.

I hope this helps.
ciyde32

Return to Funeral Insurance