Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Is It Legal What My Mother's Doctor Is Trying To Do?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby Kingsley » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 am

My mother has Alzheimer's and my sister can no longer take care of her. Today, she took her to her doctor and desperately plead the doctor to help her find a nursing home for my mother because she can no longer take care of her. The doctor told her that he is willing to help her. He asked my sister to take my mother to the hospital this coming Tuesday when he is there, and that she should not mention that my mother has Alzheimer's. He will have my mother stay in the hospital for 3 days, pretending that she is there for some other reason, then he will give the order to place her in a nursing home. He said to my sister that this way is much faster and that they will not reject her, and that the nursing home will be force to take her. Is this true? My sister is so ignorant and stupid. I am so mad. My mother lives in NJ. Can somebody give me some advice? I am afraid that my stupid sister will do this and my mother will end up in the first available nasty nursing home. Is this something illegal what this doctor is trying to do? How can this affect my mother?
Kingsley

Postby Watson » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 pm

The phony visit is insurance fraud, and the better homes won't be forced to take anyone that can't afford their rates. Considering the opinion you have of your sister she probably isn't giving you the whole story.
Watson

Postby Nicanor » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 am

No its not illegal, the doctor is right it is a faster way.

Your sister can no longer care for your mother and If she has power of attorney of your mother she can make decissions for your mothers care and decide on a nursing home.

But doing so on her own means she has to apply to area nursing homes and wait approval, spend time going through paperwork for health insurance/medicare/medicaid for approval and that can take months because there are other patients that take priority such as those coming from a hospital.

So By having your mother admitted to a hospital under a doctors care and being examined, evaluated and tested for a couple days and then the doctor decides that being in a nursing home is medically necessary then she becomes a priority patient and can be placed in a nursing facility faster and her insurance will pay the costs since its doctored ordered and not just a choice made by your sister.

Taking care of a person with Alzheimer's can be extremely stressful and not everyone is able to handle it especially when it gets to a point that someone needs to be with them 24 hours a day, lack of sleep, mental stress and frustration, lack of help from other family members can lead a normal person to elder abuse and you certainly dont want that.

If you dont want your mother in a nursing facilty then move into her house or move her in with you and you can take care of her full time 24/7. Otherwise a nursing home may be the only option.
Nicanor

Postby Baylee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm

My mother is on medicaid/medicare.
And she needs to be placed on a memory care unit.
I am trying to help my sister from the distance.
I understand my sister is having health issues right now, and can not take care of mom, but i believe she is using poor judgement.
I have been contacting assisting living with memory care unit and nursing home as well.
I have already switch mom to Global Option in the state of NJ, so she can be admitted to a AL.
I am trying to help my sister, and guide her through this whole process, but it seems that she doesn't trust my advice, and she prefers follow other people advice.
Also, I am very concern about my sister state of mind.
Lately, I noticed she talks gibberish, she sounds confused, she has lack of concentration and has problem focusing on one subject, and she jumps from one subject to the other.
Plus, she likes to drink alcohol and loves to take sleeping pills, and some other pills that will make her forget about her depression.
When I
Baylee

Postby Calum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:58 am

Help your sister find a nursing home geared toward your mother's needs, or take your mom yourself so your sister has a chance to recharge. You cannot possibly understand the stresses your sister is under unless you've lived them, day in and out. Calling her names won't help anything, it just makes out look like you don't have a clue what the situation is doing to her. Help her find a nursing home, don't follow the doctor's advice.
Calum

Postby Haben » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:58 am

It sounds like you are exspecting the impossible. If sister drinks and docshops for pills then she is not able to even take care of herself most likely. You will end up having to take a trip there or trans port her closer to you. Sister is either unable or unwilling to be her caretaker any longer.

It is most likely legal. I can not image a Dr risking that on a patient. It sounds like the 3 day observation followed by long term care instead of hospitalization. Which is probably is allowed because of age and condition.
Haben

Return to Life Insurance