Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Insurance Repairs On A Car?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby Damon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 am

My car was stolen and is under forensics testing. Once finished and my car is released to me (even tho I can't drive it as we don't have the keys) what will happen?

Will the insurance send it to a garage?

Is it in my right to choose the garage it gets sent to or not?

Does the garage asses the damage or someone from the company of the insurance?

Basically how does it all work please! Hate the waiting and not knowing what happens next!!

Thanks.
Damon

Postby Kester » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:31 pm

the insurance will most likely have the garage they use pick the car up and then assess the damage

its the garage who will look at the cost of the repairs and estimate the value of your car and then they will advise your insurance on weather they believe it is worth fixing
Kester

Postby Lionel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Once the police has finished with your vehicle, your insurance company will take over the proceedings and uplift it to their approved dealer. This body shop will be authorised to carry out repairs up to £1,000 before it would trigger an inspection by the insurers engineers and this alone could take up to 2 weeks. If you bought your car from a retailer, ask the sales administration to email your key no. to your insurance co.quoting your claims reference number.
Lionel

Postby Padrig » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 am

Call your insurance company and ask them.

They will have their preferred repairers, but they may allow you to choose one of them.

They are unlikely to let you take it to a repairer not on their preferred list (or if they do they may not provide a courtesy car).

Generally the garage will assess the damage, but may call on an assessor from the insurance company if the repair cost is high enough to make a write-off possible but not definite.

A lot of the procedures will be in the paperwork you got when you started the insurance policy.
Padrig

Return to Car Insurance