Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

If An Insurance Company Pays A Claim Can They Ask For It Back?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Postby myung-dae » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am

My husband died of cancer. The insurance company paid his vehicle off (credit life). It was an "iffy" situation as they could not get his medical records. They obviously didn't want to pay it but they did after the lender leaned on them a bit saying they were taking too long to make a decision (they took ~6 months). Anyway, they paid the vehicle off and all was well with that, but I have a question - in addition to the life insurance policy he also had the disability. By rights we should be entitled to the disability insurance as well, this would be a reimbursement of payments made while he was ill, before his death. My concern is that if I file for that they will begin digging into his medical records again and could possibly come back and say they shouldn't have paid. Can they do that? I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face but we could sure use the reimbursement.
myung-dae

Postby Oxnaford » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:32 pm

An insurance can request reimbursement for any payment they made that you were not legally entitled to be paid.. If your husband was ill or suspect he was ill at that time he took out this credit and disability coverage, then he isn't entitled to the polices benefits. If he was completely healthy and didn't suspect he was ill when he completed the insurance application and all questions were answered 100% honestly then you are entitled to all payments from all portions of the policy both life and disability premium reimbursements. If you file for reimbursement of the disability premium be prepared to have documented proof of his employment and a doctor's statement including the date he became totally disabled. It is difficult to claim disability after death unless he applied for some form of disability coverage such as social security disability and you have a official date of his total disability otherwise you is to say when he became too ill to work full time? I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck.
Oxnaford

Postby Clement » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:11 pm

If they have reason to believe that they shouldn't have paid they can as it be in the contract you or your husband took out but it best to read the contract you took out and sorry to hear of your husband death
Clement

Postby Artair » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:42 am

Yes they can IF they made a payment they should not have made, even if it's their fault.
Artair

Postby Oshea » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes, they're going to want to see the medical records, and yes, if they paid out under fraudulent circumstances - ie, if the medical records show he lied on his application about something - they can request the money back.
Oshea

Return to Disability Insurance