Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Things to Know Before Buying Travel Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Insurance Companies that will pay for corrective jaw surgery?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby tassa » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 pm

I have suffered from a chronic headache, facial pain, and sore throat for approximately five years. I have spent at least $20,000 on trying to figure out why and treatments.

Today, I had an X ray, which revealed jaw damage and misalignment. This misalignment, I believe, is causing my facial muscles, neck, and shoulder muscles to tighten and therefore causing chronic pain and headache.

Does anyone know of health insurance that will cover this surgery? I currently have Capital Blue Cross and I am not sure if it is covered.
ANY information is appreciated!
tassa

Postby aethelbeorht » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Most insurance policies will cover medically necessary surgery. If your doctor can demonstrate the necessity to Capital Blue Cross, they will probably cover it. Good Luck
aethelbeorht

Postby watford » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Only your insurance administrator can tell you what benefits are covered. Every state has different insurance and different plans. How can we possibly know what your particular plan covers?

Ever hear of a telephone?

It might be a dental surgery problem.
watford

Postby banbhan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Insurance can be a tricky with this surgery, it really depends on a lot of factors, whether or not they will consider it medical or cosmetic and cover it. But the best way to find out would be to visit your local surgeon's office, as they can usually recommend something better based on your specific situation.
banbhan

Postby ealahweemah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:30 pm

If it’s “medically necessary” then most health insurance policies will cover it. That’s a general rule of thumb, but there are certain diagnoses or certain procedures that may be excluded from coverage. Check with your health insurance agent or the insurer to learn more about your particular condition and procedure.

Your best option in this case may be to apply for pre-authorization. Ask your doctor or surgeon to help you gather and submit documentation to the insurance company demonstrating why the procedure is medically necessary. The insurance company will review the request and make a coverage determination. The process can take a few weeks or more. Don’t wait until after the procedure to argue it out with the insurer. Get this taken care of before your surgery so you can rest easy.

I definitely would NOT recommend dropping your current health insurance plan to find another one that will cover the procedure. In most states it’s still possible to be declined coverage based on a pre-existing medical condition – and that’s what it sounds like you have here.

Best wishes.
ealahweemah

Return to Health & Medical Insurance