Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Insurance And Ssa Stopping Disabled To Marry?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Postby Stephenson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 pm

First of all, SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is the federal WELFARE program which means that it is based on financial need.
I see nothing wrong with considering a spouse's income and resources in determining eligibility.
In fact, something would be wrong with a welfare program which DIDN'T consider household income.
So if a person on SSI is lucky enough to get married to a person whose income would make them ineligible they are better off financially than someone who continues to be entitled.

Marriage does NOT affect someone who is entitled to Social Security disability (SSDI) because Social Security disability is NOT based on financial need.
(SSI is NOT a Social Security benefit because it is paid out of general tax revenues unlike Social Security benefits which are paid out of the social security trust fund).
If someone is entitled to SSDI they can have $1 million in assets or their spouse can earn $1 million a year and it doesn't affect the SSDI benefit because SSDI is a earned benefit unlike SSI.

Marriage does terminate Social Security benefits to disabled adult children or to widows/widowers but it is not because of the income of the spouse; it is because it legally ends dependency on the parent and the widow/er is no longer a widow/er.

When two people who receive SSI marry their total SSI benefit is $1047 a month.
Individually they could have been receiving $698 x 2 = $1396 which means that if they get married they would lose $349 a month.
Two CAN live more cheaply than one so I have no problem with an eligible couple receiving less than what they would get if they stayed single.
If I were to marry my rent and utilities would be cut by 50% and so would my spouses and that's a whole lot of money.
The amount spent on food would remain the same or it might be less but it certainly wouldn't be more.
I very much disagree with the person who said that two can't live more cheaply than one.
Stephenson

Postby lyman61 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:36 pm

It has nothing with the intent of discouraging marriage.
The Supplemental Security Income program has a limit on assets, the amount of the award depends upon your total assets and if married the total is the combined assets of both people.
You could always look into a domestic partnership arrangement and if that would be a loophole for your benefits.
lyman61

Postby winetorp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:12 am

I think it needs to be changed because it is based on false assumptions. There was a time when people with disabilities rarely lived independently. And those that did rarely were in relationships. Those that married rarely lived with another disabled person. Those that did often worked or had low care needs. That has changed. People with disabilities cannot afford to live alone on SSI - married or single. No there is a distinct disadvantage to marrying the person you have lived with. This was not the original intention.

Added: Very few people can afford to live alone on SSI. So although two can live cheaper than one, the amount of SSI is not adequate for a person to live on living alone except when provided financial support from family, they work part-time, or they live somewhere with very low costs. $698.00 is not an adequate amount of money for most people to live on even at a poverty level - two people living on individual SSI will do OK, but when reduced to a married couple benefits - many simply cannot afford to live.
SSI needs to be recalculated with a more realistic cost basis for very basic poverty level living.
winetorp

Postby Cesar » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Social security does not discourage people to not get married, however their rules are set up in a way that people on SSI can easily lose their benefits based upon the husbands income which will generally place the person on SSI with too much income and assets. People on SSDI are in better shape because it does not count income and assets. My brother has SSI and has been married for 13 years, his wife works a little bit , and since they have a couple of kids one under 18 she can still get food stamps for herself and son. I don't know what they are going to do once their son reaches 18, most of the benefits will stop for them, since legally the son wil be a adult and not disabled.
Cesar

Postby Kin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:38 am

While I am not SSI, I did see that when surfing the SSA website.
Because it is not necessarily a problem for someone SSDI.

It is almost like those on SSI are getting emotionally and psychologically short-changed by the U.S. Government.
Kin

Postby Rayder » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:30 pm

SSDI and medicare will not penalize you, but SSI will, and medicaid might. SSI is a welfare program, and they figure that 2 can live cheaper than 1, which that's true.
I don't know how to fix the problem in a way that would be fair.
Rayder

Return to Disability Insurance