Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

No insurance and need mirena removed?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby abrao » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:06 am

I have had mirena in for almost 5 years now, and need to have it replaced; however, I no longer have health insurance. We should get our insurance back within a year. Is it possible to get pregnant if I wait until we get insurance before having it replaced?
abrao

Postby ignacio » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:10 am

Don't get pregnant with it in, that is dangerous, try going to planned parenthood and see if they will do anything for you,

yes if it is in past the five years and you do not use any other means of protection it stops protecting you because the hormoes have run out
ignacio

Postby wryhta49 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:14 am

i dont know but look up planned parenthood in your area they can probably take it out for free or a low price depending on your income
wryhta49

Postby wetherly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:21 am

I will not give you advice, because it really is up to you, but I will tell you this from my own experience. Do with it as you wish.

As I had been wearing my Mirena for 5 years and went to get it replaced, my doctor said: Oh, that's not really necessary yet, they are good for seven years.
I said: that's not what I heard when it was inserted.
She said: I know, but they were very new back then and had not been tested as much, so they told you five years to be on the safe side. But now we know that seven years is okay.

Apparently in Europe, where I live, Mirena has been available for longer (I got my first one in 1999) and it's now approved for 7 years here.

I've also Googled it a bit and it seems my doctor was right. I'd suggest that you do the same. I hope this is helpful!
wetherly

Return to Health & Medical Insurance