Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How Would You Introduce A Adult Shelter Dog To Another Dog?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby Bernold » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:48 am

Not likely that we're ever getting a shelter dog, but I'm curious.

We tried to adopt a male dobie as a buddy for our female. The staff tested him over and over with other dogs and cats, and he wasn't aggressive, but when he met my dobie, he was vicious towards her, and we ended up having to (saddly), give him back.

I'm not concerned with puppies or young dogs, because they would probably be friendly because they don't know better, but adult dogs are a different story.

I just wouldn't want the same thing happening again to us, because it was really painful to give him back. (I felt super bad).

So, what would you do? How could you make sure it'd be okay with your other pets and such?
Bernold

Postby Kinsey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:25 am

Research Grisha Stewart's B.A.T. Behavioral Adjustment Training itbasicallyly a force-free way of socialization training a dog (or any animal for that matter) to ANYTHING that they are reactive to it works great this page is a good start but you can find more elsewhere http://functionalrewards.com/
Kinsey

Postby Tomek » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:32 am

introducing one animal to another when they were not introduced as pups and when the dog is a shelter dog it makes things more difficult because they have been moved around everything is strange and they are scared and want to prove they can fight if they need to, or if they wish to be dominant.

first you go to the place- (shelter, breeder or person's house) wearing a scarf or hanky or just an old shirt you don't mind giving up. wear the same shirt every time and don't wash it, now i'm not saying mow in it toss it down and the next day put it back on but make sure you wear it half a day or so before taking it off and putting on a new one if you have places to go.

this insures it has your smell on it.

so pick out the dog you want and kindly ask if they can hold the dog for a week..at the least a week.

dogs have good smells and everyday when you come to visit with some treats and a toy and you take him for a short romp in the grass he will remember the smell of this kind stranger and recognize that to be a good thing.

so a week later when you are just about to bring the new dog home put the shirt or hanky on the dog you already have.

when you bring the new dog home the introduction should not be a crazy wild family affair. just you and the new dog coming home with the dog you already have behind a baby gate so the new dog is not rushed by him.

with leash on you calmly stroll the new dog to the gate and let him get a smell.

be at ease the dogs will feel it if you are tense.

let em smell one another, the new dog will smell you on the one you already own and one you already own will smell the adopted one on the shirt or hanky.

give them a few minutes of smelling and move the gate, with the adopted one still on leash let them smell some more. (a lot of butt smelling) at this time give them each a special training treat they will only get when in training.

if you have issues of growling or acting out put the gate back up and part the dogs, no hitting because this enforces that the other is bad.

growling and the showing of teeth is different than a 'huff' this is when a dog almost barks

this is normally not aggressive but kind of a 'hey who is that?' or 'hi'

if you get aggressive Response you will have to train the two to play nice, some think that eventually they will get along but this is not the truth if they are not trained they will eventually get into fights and the adopted dog will have to go back,

this is not the owners fault they just lack the tools to fix the situation. and sometimes all the training in the world will not help because That adopted dog only knows fear and hurt so they act out thinking it will protect them.

feeding them separated by the gate will help, have the food bowls five feet from the gate, and feed them, if they show signs of food aggression put a blanket over gate so they cannot see one another but smell one another and if they still toss a fit take the food away until they are sitting and quiet without tossing a fit. set the food back down and keep still and calm saying nothing. after they are done eating give them the training treat.

every day move the bowls closer to the baby gate and continue the training,

when the bowls are right at the baby gates and you have had no issues of aggression for a week pull the blanket up about six inches so now they can see the other one a tiny bit, do as before with any issues.

pull the blanket up a little more each day and eventually you can remove it, when no issues happen for a month with the blanket gone I would say you have tackled the hardest part.

now between meals give them each a stuffed animal that is made for dogs and play with them with the animal at least twice a day for ten or so minutes and do a lot of rubbing the animal on the dogs body getting the sent on the animal that they are having fun with, swap their toys every day so they now have a fun toy that smells like the other one and they start to think hey i know that smell it smells like something i like!

try introducing the animals all over.

i know it seems like a lot of work but its better than breaking your heart by sending the animal back or having to take one of them to the vet for stitches.

give them lots of love and praise when they do well and small tiny training only treats,

fight the good fight and in the end it will be worth it!
Tomek

Return to Pet Insurance