Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How will "ObamaCare" affect single moms?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby braddford18 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:59 pm

I have been trying to get a clear cut answer but the articles are either slanted or have all these ins and outs that it becomes confusing. I am a single mother, have two children and am making around $40k a year. I have healthcare for myself but cannot afford my company's insurance for my sons. I do not qualify for the state Medicaid and the other child insurance the state offers is not affordable either. In FL health insurance companies will not write a "child only" policy. So right now I am a self pay for all of their medical expenses. Their father is supposed to provide it as a term of his child support but I do not even get the support let alone benefits. How is this new tax going to affect my situation. Will I wind up penalized or hurt in the end? I would just hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
braddford18

Postby connlaio16 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm

The Affordable Healthcare Act (Obamacare) is designed to make insurance more affordable. Many fall for the hype that it will increase costs. It's intent is the opposite.

Costs of healthcare are on the rise right now because people, such as my mom, who can not afford insurance end up in the hospitals and unable to pay their hospital bill. The hospital has to make up those costs. Have you ever seen a hospital bill? That dose of aspirin did not cost them $30. The doses they gave to all the people who didn't pay cost them $30 and that cost is being passed on to you or your insurance. Thus increasing the cost of insurance coverage.

Obamacare also requires that a large percent (85?) of the money paid into insurance goes toward actual healthcare. Not CEO salaries and bonuses. I'm sure you can see why the medical profession would fear that. Since your insurance payment is more for healthcare and you're not paying those extras, your costs drop.

The affordability is designed to free up states to cover more people with the same budget. This means those above the poverty line, but not so far above that health insurance is easy to get, will qualify for state subsidized insurance.

Affordable Healthcare Act. That's the intention and that's what has worked in other countries.
connlaio16

Postby tamas55 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Obamacare affects everyone by requiring that everyone be insured.You may get insurance for you and your children from the state exchange which will start at the end of the year. If your Gov. does not set them up, the federal government will do it. You can buy a plan according to your needs and budget and get a tax credit for it according to your income. Obamacare refers to the individual mandate to be insured. There are some exemptions like low income people who dont qualify for Medicaid and wont have to pay the penalty. You can do that any way you want. It might be cheaper taking them to a clilnic for care at a small charge.
tamas55

Postby alon14 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 pm

If you can't afford coverage, you will have the choice of group coverage beginning in 2014. This coverage will be lower cost than your current plan. If you still can't afford it, you will apply for Medicaid for your kids, as Medicaid will be expanded to help people who fall above the poverty level, but still can't afford insurance. You will not be fined because you will have insurance for the kids.
alon14

Postby filmarr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:49 pm

Well if you can't afford it now, what makes you think you can afford it later? it is being said that the premiums are going up more than 20% because of regulations but with 30,000 plus pages of regulations and they are still writing that could drive it up even more. Don't be surprised if your company drops your coverage due to its cost. Then you have to find a doctor who will even take it. So many have said they would not.
filmarr

Postby inaki7 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:00 pm

The link below has info on family coverage. Some of the provisions won't take effect until 2014. The individual states have different procedures.

The CHIP program covers children whose parents don't qualify for Medicaid.
inaki7

Postby roman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:15 pm

I believe that children must be covered under Obamacare, but I'm not sure. Since you make less than 400% of the federal poverty line you will be eligible for some subsidies to help you purchase insurance on the open market if you want to.
roman

Postby teregud » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Wow... I've never seen a REAL question here.

I find myself totally unprepared.
teregud

Postby forgael » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Wow... I've never seen a REAL question here.

I find myself totally unprepared.
Go to plan parenthood.
They do a lot for women.
forgael

Postby rainier » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 pm

1. You'll be forced to pay.
2. You will have to wait many months to actually get an appointment.
3. It will be low quality.
rainier

Next

Return to Health & Medical Insurance