Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Things to Know Before Buying Travel Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How do scarce resources influence you personally? What impact does this have on your financial management?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

How do scarce resources influence you personally? What impact does this have on your financial management?

Postby suttecliff » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Help please
suttecliff

Postby clyffton » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:09 pm

I happen to be physically disabled at the relatively young age of 48 due to some rare genetic neurological condition that affects my motor skills such as balance, walking gait, and speech. (Cerebral ataxia.)

I worked for around 20 years at full-time jobs, and so I was eligible for and approved for Social Security Disability Insurance. It's really not that much and I even looked it up last night. I am under the poverty level in the USA. Yet I type this answer from a literally *brand new* apartment in a building that was constructed last year. They had set aside a few units for disabled people.

My fridge, freezer, and pantry are full of good food and drinks. One just has to adapt to living on 'scant resources'. I watch for items that I like to go on sale, and then I stock up on them.

One 'lesson' I had to learn after I became disabled is that I can't allow people to ask me to buy them stuff or give them 'loans'. I used to do that a lot when I was working. Now (unless you are a trusted best friend), the answer to those types of questions is "No". (I'll share my food and drinks with you, but loans are just basically "No" when one is on 'scant resources'.) Some have 'dropped me' for that reason, saying I am a 'tightwad' or other denigrating things. Hey, I guess they were not true friends after all, right? ;)
clyffton

Return to Disability Insurance