Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How do scarce resources influence you personally? What imapct does this have on your financial management?....?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

How do scarce resources influence you personally? What imapct does this have on your financial management?....?

Postby vontell5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:10 pm

I became physically disabled around the year 2006 due to a rare genetic neurological condition that affects my motor skills like balance, walking gait, and speech. I need to use a walker device at the relatively young age of 46. Luckily, I had worked full-time jobs for most of my life and so I was eligible for and approved for Social Security Disability Insurance. It's definitely not a huge amount of money (in fact I am below the USA poverty line.)

So I have 'scant resources', financially speaking.

Yet, one adapts. My pantry (cupboards) are full of food and so is my fridge and freezer. I've become a 'smart shopper'. I watch for sales and stock up on things I like when they go on sale. This habit of 'watching for sales' also carries over into non-food items like clothing. I still buy clothing, etc. of course, but I'm always looking for the best price on quality items. (I'm not going to 'lower my standards' and eat sub-standard food or wear sub-standard clothes just because I am a low-income person. I actually tried buying cheap food as a means to save money at one point, but that ended up being a waste because the food was of such low-quality that I ended up throwing most of it away, so of course there was no 'savings' there with that idea.)

One just learns to be more patient and more careful with one's money when one is low-income. I no longer can afford to 'loan' friends money, which is something I used to do when I was working (and often times never got paid back either).
vontell5

Return to Disability Insurance