Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How Do People Get Help With Disabled People Who Are Not Senior Citizens Yet?

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

How Do People Get Help With Disabled People Who Are Not Senior Citizens Yet?

Postby Saturnin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 am

on long term disability, but that does not pay for help with them unless they need a nurse....medicaid from my understanding does not offer this service either...i would have to pay someone to stay with them and everywhere i checked they make about 1 1/2 times more than i would make....so am i stuck staying at home just because he became disabled too early?.....Help.
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:17 pm

How Do People Get Help With Disabled People Who Are Not Senior Citizens Yet?

Postby Osmont » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:33 am

I am sorry that find yourself in this tough situation. Here are a few ideas for you.

First, the person you are caring for may be eligible for Medicaid. Medicaid is insurance for the medically indigent and pays for custodial care for people with disabilities. To be eligible for Medicaid, one has to meet rigorous financial requirements--which most people who have disabling conditions can do.

If you are married, you may want to check out something called "division of assets' whereby the assets you and your spouse own can be divided so that he might legitimately become eiligible for Medicaid assistance sooner without both of you "spending down" your assets and life savings. If you find yourself in this situation, it would be a good idea to talk with an attorney who specializes in public benefit or family law. If you are very low income, there are attorneys that can provide help on a very low cost basis. Your local welfare department/ social workers should know how to connect you with these professionals. If you are not low-income, find an attorney who has a good reputation in this specialized area.

When you talk with the folks at the local or state public benefit/welfare office, you should ask if your state has something called a "Medicaid waiver." If your state has a Medicaid program that covers individuals with disabilities, there may be funding to pay toward in-home care. Waivers in some states will pay family caregivers for some of their time to meet the needs of the person with the disability.

Another great source of help and information for you and your family member with a disability is your local Independent Living Center. If you don't find a group listed in your phone book, ask at your health department or public welfare office. These groups advocate for the rights and well-being of people with disabilities and would know what resources are available for your loved one and for you as a caregiver.

I hope this helps you somehow. Best wishes and good luck!
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Return to Seniors Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post