Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How Much Does It Cost To Feed A Dog Monthly?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby Aniweta » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:57 pm

A dog can be really expensive.
My dog has allergies and her food costs me about $70 per month, this is not counting the carrots I add, eggs, etc.
At one point she got sick and started throwing up and could not eat the special dog food and it costed me $175.00 to buy her 3 weeks of human food (liver, ground beef, fish for omega fatty acids, chicken for tryptophan, brown rice, squash, spinach fir vitamin K, eggs, apples, blueberries, yogurt for calcium, rice bran for phosphorus, and a variety of other things - dogs need a balanced diet).
Sure I could have fed my dog rice and chicken but in teh long run I would have had a nutrient deficient and sick dog. I also am not counting 6hr of food prep to make her the homemade food.
My dog weighs 97lb.

Most dogs do not have food allergies, but keep in mind that if you get one and it does; ask yourself "Am I financially able and committed to put the time and money into making my dog a homemade, balanced diet" - if not do not get a dog because nothing in life is a guarantee and there is no government funded health insurance it is all private out of your pocket money that you must come up with.
Aniweta

Postby Robert » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 pm

You don't want a low-price dog food. If you're cutting corners on animal care, then you should hold off on getting one until you can afford it comfortably. What are you going to do when you need a vet that costs hundreds or even thousands?

Anyways, it's about forty dollars a month to feed my thirty pound girl. That's not including treats or glucosamine.
Robert

Postby Cacey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Try raw feed. It is cheaper around £10 for 2 weeks of food and much better for them in the long run.
Cacey

Postby uso » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 am

A low price dog food will end up costing you more as you will have to feed the dog more.

With my dogs on a lower quality food, it's been recommended that I feed them 4 cups per day.

On the one I am on now, it's 2 cups.

On a higher quality, it's 1.5 cups per day.

With that, I currently spend about $60 per month to feed my 2 30-40lbs dogs.
uso

Postby Camy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

A large breed dog, that will have high activity levels will need a good diet, my medium sized dogs, Labrador cross Cocker Spaniels, that have a lot of exercise costs me roughly £70- £80 (wet and dry food) a month plus the odd meals of beef or chicken that I may buy (extra £10-£20).

I am on minimum wage, but I refuse to feed my dog the low cost foods as they can hardly be called 'food' at all. Hope this helps.
Camy

Postby Eorlson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:23 am

I have 3 dogs, they are all 65-70 lbs. I pay $30 for a 40 lb bag. A bag lasts about 3 weeks.

Then there are treats, of course.
Eorlson

Postby Savino » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:08 am

Low cost dog foods result in high cost vet bills.
Your better off to feed a quality food like blue buffalo.
Go to your local pet store, read all the labels on all the different brands.
Find one that is high protien, and low grain, or grain free.
You'll have a happier, healthier dog.
Savino

Postby gofraidh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:26 pm

Low price may be cheap to feed, however with a low price dog food you'll have high vet bills. something to consider..
gofraidh

Postby aler87 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 am

Well I think that you should not get a dog if you can only afford low cost dog food it shouldnt be about price it should be about quality~~
aler87

Postby Wulffrith » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Wow - loaded question !! We have 4 chihuahua/ poodle mixes, 1 pure bred chihuahua, and 2 fiest mixes (one we just rescued tonight who is is bad shape and going to the vet in the morning) As far as food - we go through about 30 pounds or more a month - which runs about $50.00, we have the flea drops and for this many dogs it runs $30 for each dog every 3 months, we have shampoo that we buy every other month that runs $15.00 (they are bathed at least once a week), we also have toys, harnesses, treats and gas to take them to places to exercise which runs about another 50 to 75 a month. Not including the trips to the vets for yearly shots and other necessary things - they have all been spayed/neutered and we were lucky we had a great vet work with us on the price for all of them - it was 50 a dog for that! The dogs are as follows Squirt - 6, chihuahua/poodle mix Tiny - 6, chihuahua BeeBee - 3, chihuahua/poodle mix Diamond - 1 1/2, chihuahua/poodle mix Junior - 1 1/2, chihuahua/poodle mix (Diamonds brother) Pebbles - 2, fiest mix and the new one we just rescued tonight - we are nicknaming her Marbles - she is maybe 6 months old and she is a fiest mix as well. She is in bad shape - going to the vet in the morning... Not to mention the 800.00 cat we rescued - had to have a blood transfusion when we found him! My husband says the animals in this house are gold coated because we care for them better than we do ourselves! But it is worth every dime and he doesn't complain!
Wulffrith

Return to Life Insurance