Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How long can i wait before filing a home insurance claim?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby mat93 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:31 pm

We had a small flood resulting from broken pipe which caused some water damage. We had workmen come and complete the work immediately but did not file the claim. That was last month, finally gotten around to finding my insurance documentation and it says that "any accident of incident that might give rise to a claim under the policy" must be reported "immediately". Does this mean that my claim now won't be valid? Can't find anything beyond "immediately" and don't know if governed by any regulation here... grateful for advice!
mat93

Postby feivel » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm

knowing insurers that will be an excuse not to pay
feivel

Postby domhnall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 pm

knowing insurers that will be an excuse not to pay
All you can do now if file the claim and see what happens. The insurer has every right to deny the claim as they have the right to inspect the damages. Unfortunately since the repair work is complete they have no way of verifying the cause of the damage. However they could also be satisfied with the report the contractor you used can submit as to the cause of the damage and pay the claim. It's a coin flip at this point. Next time call your insurer right away. You can call workmen in to prevent further damage from occurring but you went too far in this case.
domhnall

Postby spere » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:46 pm

When you file the claim tell them (honestly) that you didn't think it would be covered so you didn't originally file the claim. Now that you have re-read the policy you decided to file a claim. One month from the date of loss is not unreasonable for filing a claim. Your problem will be proving the claim. Since you have already had the work done it will difficult to prove what was damaged and how. Your contractor may have taken some pictures (not likely) so you could ask them if they have some. It is more likely that your claim will be denied because you do not have any proof of loss anymore; a bill from the contractor won't do it on its own.
spere

Postby terriss » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:00 pm

You normally have to contact the insurance company when the damage occurs and they then tell you the preferred method of dealing with the repair. The method may not have involved using the contractors you used to start with.

They will more than likely turn your claim down as not being involved from the beginning. They will state that they run a twenty four hour phone line and there is no reason for not making contact at the point of the incident.
terriss

Postby baldwinn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Most all insurance contracts contain provisions stating how long you have to file a claim or suit against the company. This is known as a Contractual statute of limitations. If you do not file a claim or a lawsuit within this time period, you may lose all rights to recover for your claim.

http://www.bestinsurancerating.net
baldwinn

Postby jerrod » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 pm

You have to check your policy regarding a late filing clause. Usually insurance companies ask that claims be filed in a reasonable timeframe so that they don't have people sending in claims 2 years after etc, You have to check with your insurance company in filing timeframes.
jerrod

Postby arrigo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Since you didn't give the insurance company a chance to inspect the damage before you had it repaired, they may deny your claim.
arrigo

Return to Home Insurance