Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Most Expensive Cars to Insure in 2014!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How do I get my daughters birth certificate? So that I can get her ssn?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby stewert36 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:36 am

My daughter was born in October of 2011. So she is almost 6 months old now. Her father and I could not complete her birth certificate in the hospital because my divorce had not been finalized before she was born. My ex husband is not the father. We were separated for about a year and a half before our divorce was finalized. I live in Michigan. I have talked to the hospital, the court offices, my child support case worker, and a few other people about what it is I need to do to get all of this done. I know that legally I do not have to have a father on the birth certificate so I dont see why they wont give her birth certificate to me so that I am able to get her ssn. I have been around and around and I'm not getting any one answer. Her father and I are no longer together so I am not getting any help from him. On the other hand, I am getting a little help from my ex husband, since legally he is the father, we both want to prove that he is not. I have had a few people tell me that I need to prove that my ex husband is not the father and then having it amended to the divorce paper work. But having her father take a dna test does not prove that. Makes no sense to me. I need her birth certificate in order to get her ssn. And with her ssn I'd like to get her health insurance so that I do not have to pay out of pocket anymore. If anyone could please help me, I would really appreciate it!
stewert36

Postby otaktay43 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:41 am

you go to town hall where birth was and get a birth certificate
otaktay43

Postby backstere3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 am

Birth certificates are issued by the state where she was born. You can contact the state’s court clerk where you can acquire a certified copy of birth certificate, even though it is a replace birth certificate it would still be the original certified copy. In order to obtain an original copy, you must turn in an application that includes full name, parents full names, which they assume that you possess them, the location of birth and the purpose of your search and you’ll also need the date of birth.

For each state, there is a different fee structure to obtain a copy of birth certificate, usually the fee’s are between $10-15 but, make sure you check before you send application requesting a copy. Some states offer an “heirloom birth certificate” but, those certificates are mostly for “petty uses”, they are not legal documents that can be used to prove birth or legitimacy, so make sure that you are not trying to get an heirloom birth certificate, make sure that you are requesting a copy of certified birth certificate.

Hope this help.
backstere3

Return to Health & Medical Insurance