Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: 13 Ways to Lower the Cost of Health Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How do i find out if my dad left me a life insurance policy are any sort of bond ?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

How do i find out if my dad left me a life insurance policy are any sort of bond ?

Postby swinton » Sun Dec 28, 1980 3:26 pm

my dad died 6 years ago when i was 8 he always said that he had left us some money in-case anything happened to him he hadn't told us what company are if it was life insurance are bonds he didn't leave a will are have a solicitor that we no of. so how can i find out were and what the life insurance/ bonds were and what company they are with??? i also live in the uk if that has anything to do with anything.
swinton

Postby dai » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:57 am

Where you "live" now does not have anything to do with anything.

Where he (not you) got the bonds or insurance has everything to do with everything.

For example:

a. In the U.S., there is a way to get a record of where he applied for life insurance, but then you have to contact each life insurance company individually to see which one actually sold him a policy. In the U.S., some bonds are on paper and some are electronic, and the search procedures are different. However, in the U.S., savings accounts are usually reported for tax purposes.

b. In Switzerland, almost everything is confidential. It is very hard to get anywhere without knowing an account number.

c. In Nigeria, fraud is so common that anything he thought he got was probably a scam.

What really matters is where this money, bond, policy, or whatever, is located (because that is where you need to look), not where you live.
dai

Postby tallon34 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:19 am

You need to talk to your mother and ask her? Most likely any insurance would have had her as the beneficiary and if so, then she would have cashed it when he died.

If I understand correctly, you are 14 years old now? If so and if, he did leave life insurance to you, as a minor, you cant cash till you are an adult which most likely is age 18.
tallon34

Postby torrence68 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Go find his private papers box (birth certificate,vaccinations,first holy communion certificate ). Could be there. Check your county lost and found records. Call local insurance companies. Check local banks. Ask your guardian.
torrence68

Postby wickley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:27 am

After 6 years it is not a likely avenue but I would check with his employer (if he worked) as many employers provide life insurance as an employee benefit.

I would also review the checkbook carefully there might be a premium payment to an insurance company. I say carefully because there might be only one payment per year.

Go through the his files you may find an actual policy but understand that finding the policy is no guarantee that it was in force at the time of death.

Did the he have a safety deposit box? Often life insurance policies are kept there for safekeeping.

If you do find any policies, look for applications attached to them. The application will have a list of all other life insurance policies owned at the time the policy was applied for.

Call the insurance agent that wrote his home and auto insurance. That agent might have written a life policy or perhaps referred him to another agent.

In 6 years you would have had some premium billings from an insurance company. If a policy has been paid up, there will not be any notice of premium payments due. However, the company may still send an annual notice regarding the status of the policy or it may pay or send notice of a dividend.

Good luck.
wickley

Postby goreu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:27 pm

You have to go through his old papers and bank statements to look for clues if he didn't leave a detailed list.
goreu

Postby yates » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Look, you're probably asking, is there some website where you can look up life insurance policies - and the answer to that is no. That information is protected by privacy laws.

Only the estate executor has the authority to do any kind of searching, so FIRST you're going to have to figure out who that is.

Then, they're going to have to pay a bank to get old banking records, and contact the employer at the time of his death. If he HAD life insurance, he would have been paying for it. If he hadn't paid anything for the year before his death, odds are, there WAS no life insurance.

It's much, much more likely, that your mom, or grandmother or someone, already filed that claim, and got paid. You'll probably want to ask them.

The will is completely separate from life insurance, but most people who plan ahead to the point of buying life insurance, also have a will. So that makes it even MORE unlikely, that he actually had any life insurance.
yates

Postby burneig » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:43 am

my dad died 6 years ago when i was 8 he always said that he had left us some money in-case anything happened to him he hadn't told us what company are if it was life insurance are bonds he didn't leave a will are have a solicitor that we no of. so how can i find out were and what the life insurance/ bonds were and what company they are with??? i also live in the uk if that has anything to do with anything.
burneig

Return to Life Insurance