Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How To Claim My Mom As A Dependent In Army?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

How To Claim My Mom As A Dependent In Army?

Postby Charlot » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:27 am

Here is what you need, pulled directly from the Military Pay Secondary Dependency Guide:

- Completed dependency application as required by the service member?s branch of service.

- Completed Dependency Statement ? Parent (DD Form 137-3).

- DD Form 1172 Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card ? DEERS Enrollment.

(NOTE: DD Form 1172 is not required for active duty Navy members.)

- Relationship documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce documents, etc.).

- Documentation verifying all income. Income is reported in gross amounts.

- Proof of member's contribution (allotments, canceled checks, copies of money orders, etc.).

Here is the 137-3 http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infom...

Here is the 1172-2 http://nrotc.osu.edu/Documents/DEERS.pdf

Once all of this is filled out you need to mail, fax, or email it to the Army specific DFAS office.

Here is their information

DFAS-Indianapolis/Code JMTCB

8899 East 56th Street

Indianapolis, IN 46249-0865

Toll Free Phone: (888) 332-7411

Fax: (317) 275-0282

e-Mail: [email protected]

NOTE: If you use thiss DD 1172-2 it needs to be notarized. If you get them to do if for you at an actual DEERS facility it does not need to be notarized because you will already have A Verifying Officials signature.
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:58 am

How To Claim My Mom As A Dependent In Army?

Postby Aesctun » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:23 pm

You should talk to a tax consultant at the IRS about this. They'll know what level of deduction you should apply for. I believe she would be considered a dependent, as long as she's living with you and she's not making too much from the pensions. I know the pensions are to go to your brothers, so she should be able to claim no income. Just call and check to be sure. Also, ask if there are any other deductions you might be eligible for, in light of your financial responsibilities. For example, are you also helping to provide housing for your brother(s)? If so, you may be entitled to claim a part of your expenses. GL
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:44 am

How To Claim My Mom As A Dependent In Army?

Postby Estefan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:48 pm

you must prove you supply at least 51% of all her expenses for a full 12 months first.. basically, once you can declare her on your taxes as a dependent you may begin the process.
it usually is denied the first time.

cash isn't going to work, you will need receipts showing you paid the bills.
checks paying the utilities, for instance
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:12 am

How To Claim My Mom As A Dependent In Army?

Postby Adoniya » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Dfas Dependency Determination
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Return to Disability Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post