Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How do I cancel Primerica life insurance policy?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby meng86 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:38 am

I was briefly a Primerica rep about 2 years ago. While I was a rep, I purchased a Primerica Life Insurance policy at their suggestion. About 6 months later I quit. I still have the policy. Now it seems like a complete waste of money. It is $37 per month, and I really have no need for life insurance. I am a bachelor, and nobody depends on my income. I called the Primerica number, and the recording said to cancel a policy, send them a letter in the mail requesting cancellation with the policy number. That seems awfully vague. Is there anything else I need to put on the letter? Do I need to send the letter certified mail so they can't say, "We never received it," and keep charging me every month? Dumb questions. Sorry.
meng86

Postby abell » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:43 am

do as they request and keep a copy of it for your records. afterwards, go to your bank and put a stop on their withdrawals.

i have a roth IRA with primerica and the gains have always sucked even before things got bad in 08. i need to close that account with them.

edit: i'm so glad i came across this question. i have already called primerica and have close my cruddy roth fund that's been losing me lots of money even before 08. i'll just take it and pay off some other debt balance. yes!!! oh i did this all over the phone.
abell

Postby leon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:45 am

Not a dumb question. I have primerica and all you have to do is send the letter return receipt and then contact your bank and cancel the auto debit they have an your account. I was with them also when they were still A.L Williams. I got out when they changed over ,but unlike you , I needed to keep mine.
leon

Postby layton » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:58 am

Just as they say, you'll need to send in a letter with the policy number which explicitly states that you want to cancel (or "surrender") the policy. I would have this notarized for good measure. As you guessed, send the letter certified mail so you know they received it.

Although the whole "in writing" bit seems like a deliberate inconvenience that they make you go through, it's really to cover their a**es in the event that you do knock off. A family member has ample grounds to sue claiming that you never cancelled the policy, so having that letter is vital for them. It's a pain in the neck regardless, but there is a reason for it.
layton

Postby adiel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:05 pm

You need to send a letter, with your name, address, and policy number, and a copy of the front page of the policy, saying "cancel my insurance as of 10/07/11", and you'll want to send that certified, return receipt.

And you PROBABLY need to contact your bank to keep them from hitting your account every month.
adiel

Return to Life Insurance