Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How Can I Make My Family Stop Saying These Things About Me?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Postby Calan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 pm

I dropped out of school when I was 16 and my family was really mean about it. They made it no secret that they thought I was stupid and that I would be flipping burgers for a living. Well I got my GED and went to college, majoring in business administration, and now I'm 23 and have a really good job, better than anyone in y family except my dad and they STILL make these hurtful comments to me, and I heard my mom (who makes half of what I make and hates her job) telling my brother to stop slacking in school or he'll "end up like me". I can I prove that I'm doing more with my life than any of them and make my parents stop doing everything in their power to get my little siblings to see me as a failure?
Calan

Postby Alin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:51 am

Next time they make those remarks, you can tell them what you've told us... that you have a college degree and a good job and are making something of your life and that you will no longer tolerate their unfair and hurtful remarks.
Then get up and leave.
Whenever you're with them, if they make rude remarks about you, leave immediately.
If that has no effect, just stop going to see them.
If they make the remarks on the phone, just hang up.
If they care about you they will change.
If they don't... then I'd feel like I was better off by staying away from them.
I don't know about you.
Good luck..
Alin

Postby Kassi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:11 pm

well u got three options you can ignore them or confront them or do both. sit down and have a talk with ur parents. tell them how you feel about them talking bout you in a bad way with ur siblings n how they're judgement is wrong bout you n how ur happy with ur choices and tell them your side, ur opinion.

your other option is to ignore them to let there comments flow past you like water flows past stones. in fact you can take there words as compliments. like when ur mom tells ur brother he's going to end up like you, wouldn't that mean have a good job great pay...

or you can talk to them and if that doesn't work ignore them
Kassi

Postby Dickson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Confront your mom and tell her how you feel because that's awful. Then explain your mom maybe leaving high school was a good idea and tell your parents to remember you still went to school and shouldn't they be happy you went to college and maybe you also need to talk to your sibling to about your decision cause they need to understand for you it was a good idea but maybe not for them
Dickson

Postby dermot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 am

Ignore them. If your family is being mean even though you are doing way better than them they are obviously jealous of your success.
dermot

Return to Disability Insurance