Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How can Jesus bring my brother back?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby eames » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:59 am

My brother was fatally injured in a car accident Wednesday. He had been going through an exceptionally hard stretch of life. Everyone in his life had given several opportunities to receive help but he would ultimately rely on prayer and self-medication. Unfortunately this led him to drive drunk and under the influence of hard drugs, inevitably leading to his accident on Wednesday.

When I received the news that he had been found dead, and had been resuscitated after 30min, I knew he was gone. My brother died with his brain, and what little remained was a technicality holding organ donation on standby.

I come from a strong Christian community. Since the accident my churches congregation has waltzed in in droves… Snouts to the sky and prayer books marked for damnation. This is fine, yet highly suspects as the last thing my family wants in this hard time is judgment. The real problem is that they have come to give my family “hope”. They flock in, and hold prayer rallies to bring him back long enough to “Save His Soul”… Despite the fact that the doctors have told these people that it was beyond medical possibility from the moment he died and his heart was resuscitated. This heard of belligerent idiots have my family holding onto my brother’s prolonged death throes.

Problems:
My brother has been one sensory (His fingers twitch) from brain dead since Wednesday
The congregation has convinced my parents to never sign a DNR
Several of these visitors view organ donation as an abomination
My brother doesn’t have health insurance
Every minute he remains in the hospital money will be taken from his life insurance that is bequeathed to his son (knowing my brother his son needs every penny)

Despite my faith, I have been outspoken for sensibility and have been ostracized/shunned

Since I cannot talk my parents out of this, or bring myself to take legal action I am helpless as “Jesus takes the wheel”.

Why is it people believe and use Jesus as an excuse to push their personal agendas?
How do you think it reflects on religion as a whole?

My faith in god and humanity was on the rocks up to this point... I think I may have officially tipped to non dogmatic secularism.
eames

Postby hardin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:09 am

Jesus would need to be real for that to work.

Since he is not, it is up to you to do what you can. you need to "take the wheel" and do what you can to steer in the right direction.

I am sorry for your loss, but the best thing that you and your family can do now is to accept his death, pull the plug on the life support and allow his organs to be used to give a new life to others who need it.

I suspect that your parents are acting the way that they are because they can not stand to lose their son. Children are supposed to bury their parents, not the other way around.

Get them away from these pious vultures and get them to talk with the social workers and grief councilors who can help them move on.

People act this way because they have been taught to act this way. they use Jesus to push their own opinion and bigotry because it is how they justify it to themselves. Also "Because Jesus says so" is difficult to argue against. It is their fortress against the facts and reality of the world that disagrees with their preconceptions.

Lose your faith in God, there is nothing there to have faith in, but humanity is real. And for every one of those obnoxious, holier-than-thou schmucks that are "supporting" your parents right now there are 100 normal people out there. Christian, atheist, Hindu, Muslim, whatever. People around you who probably want to stay out of your family's grief. People who do not assume that they must tell you what to do and what to think, people who care about you and your family for who they are, not how they measure up to a holy yardstick.

Go talk to the doctors, the nurses, the grief councilors, go find the strength inside yourself (for you are the source of your own strength) to go back to your family and help them see the reality of the situation rather than their hopeless hopes. And be there for them when the pain and anguish that their son is really dead comes with their acceptance of the facts.

Good luck.
hardin

Postby edmyg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:15 am

Those people are ghouls. They are stealing your brother's dignity and exploiting your families grief to increase their own feeling of piety and self-righteousness.
edmyg

Postby salvatorio100 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 am

Sounds like these people are being judgmental.How could they possibly know the state of your brothers soul.Just because he slipped from faith and sinned doesn't make him hell bound.
salvatorio100

Postby ronell » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:36 am

He would have to give him some of his magic potion via a needle.
ronell

Postby leon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:40 am

PRAY FOR HIM AND IF YOU BELIEVE... ITLL HAPPEN!!!!!
leon

Postby rudi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:46 am

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through these troubled times. It is quite sad when people impose their views, ideas, or beliefs on families, especially when troubles like this occur. One problem that is happening here is the truth taken from the Bible has been mixed with false beliefs. As for what the Bible teaches, I know you will be comforted to see how God, through Jesus is taking care of things.

There is a wonderful, free, Bible study aid that answers questions to problems we face and leads us to make wise decisions. All the chapters are important to read. Chapter 7 answers your questions.

http://watchtower.org/e/bh/article_00.htm

As I said, this is a Bible study aid. The Bible, which is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, has the answers. (2 Timothy 3:16) Also remember that God is comforting us through his scriptures.

2 Corinthians 1:3, 4: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation."

Feel free to contact Jehovah's Witnesses for any questions you may have. They will take you to your Bible for answers. Among the many scriptures, a very important one that all should heed is found at 1 Thessalonians 4:11 that says...."mind your own business". This is the time that family needs to make decisions because when all is said and done, you and your parents have to live with the consequences.

Even if you are unable to make decisions for your parents or your brother, know that your prayers will not go unanswered when you pray for wisdom from the true God, Jehovah. (Psalm 83:18)

I hope this helps and that you can find some peace during these times.
rudi

Postby alitz32 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:49 am

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through these troubled times. It is quite sad when people impose their views, ideas, or beliefs on families, especially when troubles like this occur. One problem that is happening here is the truth taken from the Bible has been mixed with false beliefs. As for what the Bible teaches, I know you will be comforted to see how God, through Jesus is taking care of things.

There is a wonderful, free, Bible study aid that answers questions to problems we face and leads us to make wise decisions. All the chapters are important to read. Chapter 7 answers your questions.

http://watchtower.org/e/bh/article_00.htm

As I said, this is a Bible study aid. The Bible, which is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, has the answers. (2 Timothy 3:16) Also remember that God is comforting us through his scriptures.

2 Corinthians 1:3, 4: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation."

Feel free to contact Jehovah's Witnesses for any questions you may have. They will take you to your Bible for answers. Among the many scriptures, a very important one that all should heed is found at 1 Thessalonians 4:11 that says...."mind your own business". This is the time that family needs to make decisions because when all is said and done, you and your parents have to live with the consequences.

Even if you are unable to make decisions for your parents or your brother, know that your prayers will not go unanswered when you pray for wisdom from the true God, Jehovah. (Psalm 83:18)

I hope this helps and that you can find some peace during these times.
First: God will do what is best for your brother's soul. This might be difficult for you to see because you love and miss him. So, God CAN bring him back, but will only do so if it is best for his soul.

There is nothing wrong with signing a DNR. If God wants your brother to live, he will live. If your brother will go to heaven if he dies, but will succumb to temptation and become damned if he lives to long, God will protect your brother's soul, and he will die no matter what doctors do - even if they keep his lifeless empty husk functioning without his mind and soul. Refusal to sign a DNR makes money for the hospital, drains your family's finances, may increase your brother's suffering, and will make you dependent upon charity, but It does not effect your brother's soul and will not extend his life. If anything refusing to sign a DNR demonstrates a lack of faith in God.

I do not know why your congregation is being so cruel to you. It might be that they have taken a "Pro-Life" political stance that they cannot justify through Scripture and so are adopting other extremist dogmas to cover their lack of biblical support.

God never forbid organ donation or transplant. People who have never read a single word of the original Hebrew text of the Commandments have made that up based on what they hope the text might say, and a desire to feel superior to other people (mostly the latter).

Finally: Don't blame God for what ignorant, selfish people do even when they claim to be Christians.
Do not loose faith in God; just find a new church or synagogue.
alitz32

Postby eleder » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:09 am

Your mindset of letting Him take the wheel is the correct one. To continue with the same metaphor, even though your brother may have thought he was driving, and this is what makes life hard because without God's wisdom we suffer much fear and self punishment, God was in charge in his life as well as for everyone else. There is only one real power.

Let Him drive, watch where He takes you and follow His instructions for what you are to do at every stop. My yoke is easy and my burden is light.
eleder

Postby gonzalo59 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:12 am

Oh, Turttle, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I lost my "baby" brother to pancreatic cancer at the ripe old age of 26. How will Jesus Christ, the only begotten son of God, bring your brother back? Well, he promised us at John 5:28, 29 that the hour was coming "when all those in the memorial tomb will hear his voice and come out". The question is now how, really, but WHEN. Well, if you look at the world around you, you will realize that we are living in what the bible calls the last days. Even secular writers wonder about the whole "Apocolypse" thing. Look at the March 2011 issue of Newsweek Magazine. Sometime after the destruction of this system of things, those resting in the grave, like my brother, your brother, and billions of others, WILL hear Jesus' voice and be raised from the dead. We need to be patient and recognize that this will happen on God's timetable, not ours.

PLEASE feel free to write me if you want to keep "talking"
gonzalo59

Next

Return to Life Insurance