Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Man Busted Selling Fake Insurance Policies!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How can I help my mother retire?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby helaku » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey all !! So I have a bit of a unique situation & I'd love some advice. I am a 24yr old Medical Assistant living in Buffalo, NY. My mother is single & divorced, & due to sacrifices she has made for her children while in a abusive relationship with my dad, she has a crappy, half-assed job & can never look forward to retirement. My brother & I worry sick about her, because we will likely not be staying in Buffalo much longer & we are ALL she has. It is my personal dream to continue my career in Florida, & my mom talks all the time about wishing she could live down there with me. I'd love to somehow financially support her move, but there are so many things to take into consideration. Health insurance? Where would she live? She is mid-50s with no college education & who would hire her at her age now? Is it easy to get part/full time work at her age? She has fibromyalgia & Lupus -- I worry! Does anyone have ANY suggestions on ways I could get her down to FL with me & lighten her load financially without jeopardizing health insurance & basic necessities? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
helaku

Postby innes » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 pm

First, there is a good chance she won't get a job with health benefits.

Is there any chance she can be trained to be a health aide; they are definitely in demand in Florida and you don't need a college degree.

If you want to help her out, you two should live together after the move.
innes

Postby aston81 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:51 pm

You have the next 10 years to take care of her. Most assistance programs are income based. If her income is low, she should qualify for Medicaid. Perhaps she should apply now for public housing. There is a long waiting list, but seniors and disabled do have priority in some areas.

If she is not getting food stamps, you need to have her apply for those. Perhaps you and your siblings can chip in each month with $50 each or so to help her now, or you could put that into a retirement account for her when she does retire.

It is not too late for her to gain some new job skills. In my city for instance, the community college offers a 12 week program to become a Pharmacy Assistant. Check in your city for some of those programs.

Fibromyalgia is often triggered by emotional issues and once she gets something positive in her life, that might get better.

When she is 65, or whatever age is full retirement for her, she can collect on your Dad's social security account and she will get 1/2 the amount he gets when he collects.

Good luck, taking care of parents is something that many of us have had to face. But, keep in mind that she also has a responsibility to take steps to improve her life on her own, she is not helpless and you should encourage her to keep trying.
aston81

Return to Health & Medical Insurance