Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How can I get my health insurance to pay for my gym membership?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby roswalt51 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:06 pm

I receive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, and it is maintained by Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey since I live in NJ.

Is there a way that either of them will reimburse me for a membership at New York Sports Club? It's around $30 a month plus added fees.

And, if not can I use my flexible spending account money to maintain the membership?
roswalt51

Postby sutherland » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:08 pm

First of all, you need to figure out who your insurance is through. BlueCross of Illinois is not related to BlueCross of NJ. If your employer is based out of Illinois, then you have BC of IL and can use the NJ network, but the plan (from IL) otherwise has nothing to do with them (in NJ).

Or, if you want to skip the semantics, just pull out your card and look at it. And then, you can call the number on the card to SEE if they have any programs and how they work.

Normally, you cannot just go to any gym and you NEVER can use your FSA. However, some plans have discounts for gyms. And in some cases, like United Healthcare, if you GO to the gym X number of times per month, then they'll actually reimburse a fixed amount. But, it has to be tied into a network that they can track. When you scan your card at the gym UHC is actually notified. They don't know if you actually get on the tread mill or sit in the cafe drinking soda, but it's the best they can do.

Moral of the story....call and ask.
sutherland

Postby gunter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 pm

First of all, you need to figure out who your insurance is through. BlueCross of Illinois is not related to BlueCross of NJ. If your employer is based out of Illinois, then you have BC of IL and can use the NJ network, but the plan (from IL) otherwise has nothing to do with them (in NJ).

Or, if you want to skip the semantics, just pull out your card and look at it. And then, you can call the number on the card to SEE if they have any programs and how they work.

Normally, you cannot just go to any gym and you NEVER can use your FSA. However, some plans have discounts for gyms. And in some cases, like United Healthcare, if you GO to the gym X number of times per month, then they'll actually reimburse a fixed amount. But, it has to be tied into a network that they can track. When you scan your card at the gym UHC is actually notified. They don't know if you actually get on the tread mill or sit in the cafe drinking soda, but it's the best they can do.

Moral of the story....call and ask.
Some health insurance plans do offer discounts on gym memberships, but not all. Contact your health insurance company or licensed agent to find out if this is covered by your plan. You may also want to ask your employer’s HR department about discounts.

Generally speaking, you cannot use FSA funds to pay for a gym membership. However, if you are diagnosed with a specific condition and your doctor prescribes a treatment regimen that includes gym-related activities, a portion of your gym costs may qualify for payment from your FSA.
gunter

Postby gonzalo59 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Wow, I am surprised by the mix of answers here, especially the wrong ones.

Everyone is correct in that you need to read your specific plan and see what it says. Call the 800 number on the back and ask them to be sure.

I know that Horizon BCBS does reimburse health club membership with proof of attendance, not sure about the out of state plan though. Pretty much all of the NJ carriers offer this now.
gonzalo59

Postby cahir » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:33 pm

No the insurance is of your health not for gym you have to pay for the gym by your own
cahir

Postby lokni36 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:41 pm

If you can get your Dr to write an order stating that you need the gym membership for medical reasons, then yes
lokni36

Postby pruet75 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Absolutely not. The gym membership is NOT a medical expense.
pruet75

Postby hrafn59 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 pm

You can't. Don't waste your time trying. There is absolutely no way.
hrafn59

Postby deaglan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Each policy is different. Read yours to see if it's covered.
deaglan

Postby donnachadh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm

If the policy terms permit you to do so.
donnachadh

Next

Return to Health & Medical Insurance