Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Most Expensive Cars to Insure in 2014!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How can I get affordable health insurance because of obama care?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby sully » Sun May 26, 2013 5:22 am

I work but i have 2 kids to support and I Make Minimum Wage.. plus rent and bills.. Does anyone have any suggestions about how i could possibly get health care or what will happen if I just simply cant afford it? And no smart *** remarks like get a better paying job. Jobs are hard to find where I Live and i am making it with what i have. But obama forcing us to have health insurance is making me wonder what Options i have. Medicare? or some kind of afforable health insurance? would love to hear people who are in the same boat i am. and any POSITIVE Suggestion would be helpful. Thanks
sully

Postby jaime » Sun May 26, 2013 5:30 am

The problem is the Secretary of Health is writing the thousands of pages of rules and regulations as we speak, so nobody really knows what is going on.

Currently, if you make less than 133% of the Federal Poverty Level you will automatically be placed on welfare. If you make between 133% and 400% of the FPL you will qualify for a subsidy, unless you have access to a group plan through an employer (even if you don't take it) and only if your state sets up an "exchange" marketplace plan. This subsidy will be in the form of a tax credit.

Medicare is not an option unless you are over age 65 or are disabled. Your options are to get on a group policy through an employer or to purchase your own. How that will be we'll have to wait and see what happens.

The fine is $95 or 1% of your income, which is much less than the 9 1/2% of your income that 0bama considers to be an "affordable" premium.
jaime

Postby margit » Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 am

1. Obama is not forcing you to get health insurance if you can't afford it. Obama is forcing only those who can afford it to get it. If you can't afford it, then you won't get fined. You only get fined if you can afford it and refuse to get it. There is no fine if you can't afford it.

2. You can't get "insurance because of Obamacare" during 2013. During 2013, you can get only whatever insurance you could have gotten without Obamacare. "Insurance because of Obamacare" does not start until 2014.

3. Because of Obamacare, you might be able to get medicaid, in 2014, but not in 2013.

4. You can't get medicare until you are 65, unless you have kidney failure or certain other medical issues.

5. "Affordable health insurance" can cost more than twice what the same insurance would cost without the word "affordable". If you can't afford insurance with the word "affordable", then you may still be able to afford insurance without that word.
margit

Postby ailen40 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:35 am

NOTHING about Obamacare is affordable. It has DRIVEN UP the cost of health insurance, so it actually costs MORE this year than last - about 30% more.

The ONLY way you're going to get "insurance" for "less than it costs", is if you will qualify for Medicaid next year under the more lenient guidelines. So far, only 30 states have signed on for that part of the provision, so WHERE you live, is an important issue.

The fine is allegedly not going to be imposed on people who make less than (insert ever changing dollar amount here).

Medicare is for the elderly.
ailen40

Postby coltere » Sun May 26, 2013 5:46 am

If you have children and you are low income you might qualify for Medicaid even though you are under 65, if your state participates in the expansion of Medicaid.

Otherwise, at the end of th is year you can buy a basic insurance plan from the exchange. Next year when you file a return you get a good tax credit subsidy based on your income. Here is the calculator.

If you are in poverty you can claim economic hardship and not pay the fine.
coltere

Postby kynthelig » Sun May 26, 2013 5:51 am

Most likely Medicare will carry most of the burden of healthcare costs. I suggest, you also check other affordable insurance options because most of the federal insurance programs have very limited coverage. This is true specially for those who'll need long term care services. Those who require assistance in activities of daily living (ADLs) are among the ones who need long term care insurance. This website can give you more info: http://www.infolongtermcare.org on LTC insurance definition
kynthelig

Postby lyn » Sun May 26, 2013 5:56 am

Kids can get health insurance through their schools.
This is paperwork they give you when you sign up at any school.
lyn

Return to Health & Medical Insurance