Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How can I find out if my deceased parent had life insurane?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby anshel51 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 pm

My mother passed away in 2009 and she was adamant that she had insurance to cover the mortgage on the House in case of her demise. My mother was a very responsible woman but we cannot find the policy... What can we do to obtain this information? Please HELP!!!!
anshel51

Postby conall11 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm

The Mortgage company should have a copy of the policy if she had one because most company ask for this information.
conall11

Postby baruch63 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:41 pm

If you are talking about a private policy and not a specific mortgage policy that her lender would know about, policy will be with her papers somewhere. And at some point in time she sent SOMEONE a premium by check; old checking records.
baruch63

Postby lazar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 pm

How old was Mom, she may not have realized and those that a PMI policy was to cover her instead of the mortgage company. Call the morg=tgage company and they can tell you. Well the executor needs to call the mortgage co and provide a copy of the death certificate and proper court papers to be able to discuss such issues. Sound like you may need a probate hearing and why NOW?
lazar

Postby salvatorio100 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:07 pm

See who her homeowners or car insurance carriers were. Most times people will buy a policy from the same carrier because it can be cheaper to buy a bundle of coverage. Ask them if she took out a life insurance policy.
salvatorio100

Postby ira » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Begin by paying the medical information bureau (MIB) for a list of companies where she applied for life insurance. Next, ask each of those companies, one at a time, whether or not she had life insurance from their company.
ira

Postby farold » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 pm

If you're asking, is there a database where you can plug their name in, the answer is no.

70% of Americans die without active life insurance in force, so the easiest place to start, is with whatever it is that makes you think they even HAVE life insurance.

The second easiest, is to go through the banking records. If they had insurance, they'd be paying for it, at least once a year, but usually once a month. You should see a cancelled check. If you're executor/administrator of the estate, you can get copies of all their cancelled checks for the past year, from their bank, and go through them. Be sure to check the safety deposit box at their bank, too.

Obviously, you need to check through their valuable papers at their home.

If they were employed at the time of death, call the HR department at their employer's, to see if there was any group life insurance.

If you suspect they had a prepaid policy, just change the mailing address to yours - if they DID have a paid up policy, once a year they'd be receiving a statement from the insurance company.

Again, if you're executor of the estate, you can pay $75 to http://www.mib.com/html/lost-life-insurance.html and they will tell you if any applications have been received on their lives, in the past 13 years. It only goes back 13 years, and you'll need to send them proof that you are administrator or executor of the estate.

Don't be worried about someone else "intercepting" your life insurance money. If you are the beneficiary of the policy, the insurance money gets mailed directly to you.

If you're not administrator or executor of the estate, AND a check doesn't show up to your mail one day, then legally you don't have access to the information - it's protected by the privacy laws. But you can always ASK the administrator/executor if there is life insurance, and who the beneficiary is.

Life insurance tends to run in families. Do you have life insurance? Your sibs? Your parents? Most people TELL family members, if there is life insurance. If none of the surviving family members have any life insurance, odds are, the deceased doesn't, either. That's your PERSONAL reminder. Go buy life insurance, and tell at least two different family members that you have it, and where you keep your valuable papers.
farold

Return to Life Insurance