Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Man Busted Selling Fake Insurance Policies!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

How to calm my cat down so i can cut her nails?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby kevyn37 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I asked the vet but they said i had to pay £20 every two weeks to cut all the nails! I already pay for the normal pet insurance and visits but pet insurance is only when the cat gets sick. Anyways i can't afford £20 every two weeks and all the other vets say the same thing. My cat always hisses and bites me when i try to cut her nails, even if she's sleepy and i carefully try and do it she wakes up straight away. She hates me for at least 3 days after i cut her nails. How can i make her calm so that i can cut them in peace. Thanks.
kevyn37

Postby aviya » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 pm

I have to cut the nails of 3 cats and only one does not fight. You will either need to get a cat bag or a thick towel and do a burrito wrap. allowing only one let to stick out at a time. Don't cut too close or it will bleed causing a lot of discomfort. Learn to work fast. I usually come out with a couple of minor wounds. One time, a bad one that left a scar but that was from my feral cat. I wish I could give you more encouraging words.
aviya

Postby tomek » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Not sure why you feel it needs to be done every two weeks. And is there a reason, since most cats can be trained to use provided scratching areas. For instance, I have multiple cats, all with their claws, and they only get a trim when they start to knead me with their claws out.

It takes patience. You get your cat used to massaging her paws. Just do it with no intention of trimming the sharp tip off. And go for the sharp tip, as that is safest and you want to dull her claws, not cut them down too much.

Once she gets used to you handling her paws, you practice by pressing on her paw pads. Her claws will extend. But still, no trimming.

Then, with a special trimmer that you get that is for them, you massage, press on the paw pad, and perhaps try to get one or two claws trimmed per session. If you try to get all at once, she will struggle, and also remember, and fight you the next time.

And, when you only try for one or two claws, it is fast, and after several sessions, you get them all trimmed.
tomek

Postby montrelle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:34 pm

You don't need to trim your cats claws every two weeks, I have had cats all my life and have very rarely ever had to trim any of their claws, get your cat a scratching post this will naturally keep their nails in good condition.

Like i say its completely unnecessary to trim your cats claws every two weeks if you are just doing it to keep the claws more blunt i'd suggest that If its that stressful for both you and your moggy then leave them alone. Cats have been around for millions of years with no one cutting their claws and have done just fine.
montrelle

Postby sennet » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Stroke her give her some treats when she is calm and do that every time you cut her nails so knows that if she behaves she'll get a treat.

Don't let her get fat though haha
sennet

Postby korey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Peace sometimes doesn't come, and when it doesn't there are towels. Wrap that little girl up like a burrito with one paw at a time hanging out and clip away.
korey

Postby herrick » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Catnip
herrick

Postby dai » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Its called Marijuana
dai

Postby filbuk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Its called Marijuana
well put her in water that will do the trick or strangle it pass it out and do it
filbuk

Return to Pet Insurance