Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

I Hit A Car Left The Scene Had No Insurance Of The Time Of The Accident . The Cops Found Me . Now What?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

I Hit A Car Left The Scene Had No Insurance Of The Time Of The Accident . The Cops Found Me . Now What?

Postby Willa » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:13 pm

From the standpoint of the other vehicle involved and its owner it will be the same as if you stuck around. If you were responsible for damage you will have to pay for it - I am assuming it was not an injury accident, which would be very much worse. You will probably be dealing with the insurance company that will probably have to pay through uninsured/underinsured driver coverage for the other owner. The insurance company will accept payments but they will be tough about making sure you make the payments on time.

Leaving the scene opens you up to criminal prosecution. Jail is not likely unless you are defiant but you will have a large fine (typically around $1000) for not having insurance and very likely another large fine (not sure how much) for leaving the scene, plus maybe probation. Most courts will arrange a payment schedule for the fines - the court clerk (outside the courtroom but in the same building in most cases) will handle that.

A hard lesson to be sure, but the court is also interested that you learned the lesson. Getting in an accident is not usually a crime but leaving the scene always is. The cost should be only money, but it will be more money than it needed to be originally.
Willa

Postby Abram » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:04 am

Laws vary from state to state. You will certainly have to pay for the accident, probably get fined for no insurance and leaving the scene.
(I don't like mandatory auto insurance laws, by the way) I would doubt if you will get jail time, for a minor accident, but is possible.
Abram

Postby Arrio » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:02 pm

you may desire to completely pass by way of your guy or woman coverage and only enable them to handle all the legal portion of it. they are plenty greater geared up to handle this, and that's what you're paying them for. Pay the deductible and be achieved with it. contained in the state of California, your collision assurance might desire to conceal the cost of the vehicle seats, offered they have been occupied (which they have been). Get the hot seats and deliver the receipts to Allstate. they'll reimburse you. you're entitled to an analogous sort of seats you already had, no enhancements. as quickly as Allstate finishes paying out on your injury, they'll pursue Geico for reimbursement. If Geico denies, then it is going to probable pass to arbitration. the situation there is that whether it is going to arbitration, you nonetheless won't get your deductible returned, so practice your self for that threat. yet that's no longer for loss of attempting on Allstate's section. they'll aggressively pursue this. as quickly as that's over with, in case you weren't in a position to recuperate your deductible, then you might have the best to sue in small claims. however the only difficulty you are able to sue for is your out of pocket costs (your deductible). undergo in strategies, that as long as Allstate is actively pursuing this, you won't manage to (and should no longer) do something. watch for them to end their restoration technique. provided that they advise you that they have got achieved each thing they might and weren't in a position to recuperate for this loss might desire to you make the pass to pursue this your self contained in the direction of the legal channels. i comprehend the money will no longer be uncomplicated to return via, yet there is not any time shrink and in case you are going to be able to desire to take it sluggish to maintain up the money, you are able to.
Arrio

Postby Searle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 am

Hopefully, you'll go to jail. Merry Christmas!
Searle

Postby Leonce » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:10 pm

What does today being Christmas have to do with anything?

You are guilt of hit and run/leaving the scene of an accident, driving without insurance, and potentially wreckless driving.

At a minimum you're going to have your license suspended.
You are also liable for any damages incurred by the driver you hit... if the driver doesn't sue you, their insurance company will.
And yes, you may be facing jail time as well, especially if someone was injured in the accident.

Get a lawyer.
Leonce

Postby Griorgair » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:30 pm

You will probably be sued and you could probably face jail time. It was a really bad idea and you made a really bad choice. I hope you think about the other person effected by this. You probably ruined their Christmas. Hopefully you can turn yourself around. Just go with flow and don't try to cover anything else up because you will only make it harder for yourself. Just be honest from here on out.
Griorgair

Return to Car Insurance