Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Health insurance options for a 20 year old student with no parental coverage?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby garen » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am

I have recently had a medical issue and went to the ER. One visit racked me up over $2,000 of bills that I obviously can not pay. Now I am looking at options for health insurance, but I am worried i will not find anything affordable. I am a college student and work full time for min. wage and live on my own. I come from a working class family and neither one of my parents have insurance. is there any way i can get some form of healthcare? i know i cant get medicaid because im a white male with no kids, but is there any other options?
garen

Postby wryhta49 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:43 am

I have 2 kids in college and both require them to show proof of health insurance, or they have to pay for it on their tuition bill. Are you sure you are not covered through your college? It might be worth checking with them.
wryhta49

Postby berkley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:47 am

"Working Class Family" with no health insurance? Why don't your parents have health insurance? Do they have cable tv, smartphones and the Internet, but no health insurance? Food, shelter, job, health insurance....everything else should take a back seat.

You need to have a chat with your parents about getting coverage. As you now know, insurance isn't as expensive as needing it and not having it. That one visit cost more than two years of health insurance premiums for a good plan in my state.
berkley

Postby aisley » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 am

Actually, medicaid might pay for your previous medical issue. It's the only program that will go retroactively. I know plenty of single white male and female people who have gotten help with thier medical bills. Contact the hospital billing department to see if they have anything to offer you.

Most colleges and universities have some sort of health insurance plan for thier students. This is usually the cheapest option. Check with your student health center for details. Many universities also REQUIRES you to have insurance. At my university you actually have to show proof.

Insurance is specific to the state you are in. Since we don't know that we can't really help you. Here are some legitimate insurance companies for you to research = Blue Cross / Blue Shield / Anthem Health, United Healthcare, Aetna, Kaiser (west coast), Farm Bureau through Blue Shield (cheapest rate in Cal).
aisley

Postby dome » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 am

You can get Medicaid until you are 21 with a low income, and that would have covered your ER bill. If the bill is 3 months old Medicaid might still cover it. But get to your Social Services dept and apply. A case like yours, going to an ER uninsured, is exactly why the Obamacare is necessary. What do you think happens to health care costs when they treat you and you pay nothing? They increase the cost of services to insured people then then have higher premiums to pay. You should go first to an urgent care clinic or county clinic and pay a small fee. I really wish the federal mandate to treat everyone at the hospital ER would be repealed.

Being a student has nothing to do with health insurance. Some colleges have a health center which you pay a student fee for.
dome

Postby zigor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 am

You can get Medicaid until you are 21 with a low income, and that would have covered your ER bill. If the bill is 3 months old Medicaid might still cover it. But get to your Social Services dept and apply. A case like yours, going to an ER uninsured, is exactly why the Obamacare is necessary. What do you think happens to health care costs when they treat you and you pay nothing? They increase the cost of services to insured people then then have higher premiums to pay. You should go first to an urgent care clinic or county clinic and pay a small fee. I really wish the federal mandate to treat everyone at the hospital ER would be repealed.

Being a student has nothing to do with health insurance. Some colleges have a health center which you pay a student fee for.
Although you're asking about getting health care, I think you mean health insurance. You get health care, by going to a doctor. If you want someone else to PAY for it, you're talking about health INSURANCE.

Florida doesn't give welfare health insurance (medicaid) to able bodied adults. Community colleges typically don't offer group health insurance.

Depending on what your ER issue was, if you are otherwise healthy, you should be able to buy a high deductible health insurance policy for under $100 a month. Keep in mind, these typically have a deductible well in excess of $2,000. A reasonable price for a comprehensive health insurance policy, at your age, with no deductible, if you're PERFECTLY healthy, is $250 a month.

Seriously, your best bet, is to look for a different full time job, where you can get benefits through your employer. Or if you can squeeze it in, another part time job at someplace like Starbucks, UPS, or Walmart, because they offer health insurance to part time employees.
zigor

Postby marco » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:18 am

Race and gender are not a factor in getting medicaid. If you would have been able to get medicaid if you were a black female, then you can get medicaid. If you cannot get medicaid, then it is not because you are a white male.

You can get health insurance in all of the ways that you could get it if you were not a student, such as buying it directly from a healht insruance company, or through an agent or broker.

You may or may not be able to get it from the school.
marco

Return to Health & Medical Insurance