Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Most Expensive Cars to Insure in 2014!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Health insurance..need a good health insurance plan for my 14 year old excellent health grandson?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Health insurance..need a good health insurance plan for my 14 year old excellent health grandson?

Postby corday61 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:59 am

I am his guardian since both his parents died , Mother (2010) and Father (my son 2011). I am 70 years old, sill work, on a medicare advantage plan (so is my 68 year old wife)...he had Medicaid but guess he will be loosing that now since if they consider my income it would be over the established amount, but i am willing to buy private insurance, the problem is that seems insurance companies are not offering any single plan insurance for that age group. Any suggestions (i don't have employer provided insurance and anyway would not qualify since he is not my son). Thank you
corday61

Postby sutherland » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:04 am

One of the provisions of the health care reform law required health insurance companies offering coverage to children to accept all children without regard to any pre-existing medical conditions they may have. The unintended consequence of this was that many health insurance companies ceased offering child-only policies at all.

A number of states have responded to this by establishing open enrollment periods during which children age 18 and under are allowed to enroll in health insurance plans. To find out if your state has an open enrollment period, check with your state department of insurance or the office of the insurance commissioner.

We discussed this issue on our blog and published a chart outlining the different state open enrollment periods, here:

http://blog.ehealthinsurance.com/2011/01/health-insurance-for-kids-in-2011/

You can also find some answers to commonly asked questions about child coverage here:

http://blog.ehealthinsurance.com/2011/01/health-insurance-for-children-general-questions-and-answers/

Finally, if nothing else works out, contact the non-profit Foundation for Health Coverage Education at coverageforall.org. They can tell you if there are any other special government options in your state and put you in touch with the right people to find out if your grandson will qualify.

Best of luck.
sutherland

Postby adalberto » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 am

One of the provisions of the health care reform law required health insurance companies offering coverage to children to accept all children without regard to any pre-existing medical conditions they may have. The unintended consequence of this was that many health insurance companies ceased offering child-only policies at all.

A number of states have responded to this by establishing open enrollment periods during which children age 18 and under are allowed to enroll in health insurance plans. To find out if your state has an open enrollment period, check with your state department of insurance or the office of the insurance commissioner.

We discussed this issue on our blog and published a chart outlining the different state open enrollment periods, here:

http://blog.ehealthinsurance.com/2011/01/health-insurance-for-kids-in-2011/

You can also find some answers to commonly asked questions about child coverage here:

http://blog.ehealthinsurance.com/2011/01/health-insurance-for-children-general-questions-and-answers/

Finally, if nothing else works out, contact the non-profit Foundation for Health Coverage Education at coverageforall.org. They can tell you if there are any other special government options in your state and put you in touch with the right people to find out if your grandson will qualify.

Best of luck.
You're going to have to talk to a local insurance broker.

See, since the Health Reform Act passed, most states won't sell any "child only" insurance policies - the ones that do, it's short term only, not comprehensive coverage. And you can't buy a family plan with him and you, because of your age.

You're going to have to just hope he can stay on Medicaid.

If you adopted him, then he WOULD qualify to be on an employer provided plan.
adalberto

Postby alexander38 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 am

You cannot buy insurance for only your son. You have to find at least one person who is 19 or older and buy insurance for both that person and your son.

Although medicaid normally goes by total household income, there is a loophole. Children in foster care can qualify even if the government places them in a household where the income is too high. If you have not adopted him, so he is legally an orphan, and the government would have to spend money putting him foster care if you had not agreed to take him, then they may be willing to put him in "foster care" at your home. If they do, then he should be able to stay on medicaid. (Also, you may get some money from the government.)

If you had employer-provided insurance, then he could qualify, if you adopted him. Legally adopted children qualify for any insurance for which biological children qualify. It is much easier to adopt an orphan because the biological parents are not able to object.
alexander38

Return to Health & Medical Insurance