Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Having A Baby In Canada

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

Having A Baby In Canada

Postby archy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:22 am

Hi. I am Scottish and a British Citizen. My fiance and I are in the process of moving to Vancouver, BC. I am currently 4 months pregnant and want to be where I will be living in the next 2 months as after that I cannot fly. It may take longer than this to get our visas organise. 1- Is it possible to come to Canada without my work or permanent visa and receive my permanent visa while I am there or do I have to be outside of the country. 2- Can I have my baby in Canada without a permanent visa and how much will this cost? I cannot get insurance as I am already pregnant. Is there any health scheme in Canada I can join to cover this even by paying a premium?

If there is anything else you feel I should know on this subject please let me know.

Thanking you in advance

Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Having A Baby In Canada

Postby Ximon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:13 am

In principle, you can travel to Canada without a permanent resident visa and wait out the immigration process in Canada, but an immigration officer at the port of entry will determine whether you can enter the country as a temporary resident(basically tourist status).

You will not be covered by any Canadian government insurance programs for the delivery of your child in Canada and you should inquire beforehand about finding the required medical support you will need. This can normally be done through the local provincial health authorities in the city of destination. A local hospital should also be able to tell you what procedures and costs are involved in delivering your baby.

As the mother and as a non-resident of Canada, you would be charged for all medical expenses associated with the delivery and post delivery care. Your baby's care, once your baby is born, should be covered by provincial medical health coverage benefits. Your baby will also be a Canadian citizen. You may apply for a citizenship card and/or Canadian passport after your child is born and a birth certificate issued.

Tim Morson
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:48 am

Return to Seniors Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post