Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Do I have to sign up for Obamacare, the Affordable Health Care Act, or can I wait until I am sick?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Do I have to sign up for Obamacare, the Affordable Health Care Act, or can I wait until I am sick?

Postby jayronn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 am

The Republicans do not tell you this: You can wait until you are sick to sign up for obamacare, the Affordable Health Care Act because the law prevents corporate health insurance companies from denying you your mandated benefits. So wait and save your money for cool downloads.
jayronn

Postby macailean » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 am

I'm not sure where you get your information but you don't sign up for Obamacare. The ACA stipulates that you must have medical insurance coverage of your choice or pay a fine that is equal to the cost of medical insurance at a low rate in your state. States are being provided with federal funds to set up health exchanges that supply insurance coverage for those who can't afford private rates.
macailean

Postby az90 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:41 am

I'm not sure where you get your information but you don't sign up for Obamacare. The ACA stipulates that you must have medical insurance coverage of your choice or pay a fine that is equal to the cost of medical insurance at a low rate in your state. States are being provided with federal funds to set up health exchanges that supply insurance coverage for those who can't afford private rates.
You could do that, but then you'd be liable to pay the individual mandate fine
az90

Postby otto » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:45 am

better to just wait until you're DEAD!

then lets see them fine you for not paying up!
otto

Postby beldene » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:49 am

You probably don't qualify for Obamacare because you probably have enough money to buy your own insurance.
-If you are in the middle class, you will be forced to buy insurance. You won't get Obamacare
beldene

Postby suthley » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:55 am

You don't sign up for Obamacare. It is not a health insurance policy, it is a set of regulations for insurance companies.
suthley

Postby leofric33 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:02 am

You are required by law to have insurance by next January. The insurance can be from a parent, a spouse, an employer or the state exchange. If you dont have insurance by January you are subject to a tax penalty when you file your return. You forget about that. You need insurance and the ACA makes it very easy to buy plus get a tax credit subsidy.

The ACA does prevent insurance carriers from rejecting you but you still have to be insured by January. Not only that, if you wait until you have some problem, you may have to purchase pre-existing condition insurance and that costs more than if you buy it before you have a condition. The ACA only helps you get insurance no matter what your condition is. It does not control insurance rates.
leofric33

Return to Health & Medical Insurance