Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Do I HAVE to cover my child until age 26 under Obama Care?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby ysgawyn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Am I legally obligated to cover my child under Obama Care? And am I legally responsible for their medical bills if they don't pay them? We live in Illinois, and my husbands divorce decree does not include any obligations after the age of 18, including college or insurance.
ysgawyn

Postby branduff » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 pm

The Affordable Care Act allows you to keep your child on your health insurance until he or she is 26, but you don't HAVE to do so. Generally, it is for parents who have kids in higher education through graduate school.
branduff

Postby jordan60 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:42 pm

And Vinda, calling it "Affordable" is an insult to anyone with half a brain. I don't call a trillions-dollar government boondoggle, "affordable", but it's not like anyone who supports it actually cares how it's funded.

And no, you don't HAVE to keep your child on your healthcare plan until they're 18, but you can. But why a grown person would want to be on mommy and daddy's teet is beyond me.
jordan60

Postby westbrook94 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Obama Care? That's an insulting republican term for a health care bill passed by congress. It has nothing to do with your divorce or your husband. The question is, "Do I have to cover my children after they turn 18?" No, you do not. It would be very good of you to help them out, though. Maybe let them pay part of the cost of health insurance.
westbrook94

Return to Health & Medical Insurance