Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Do I have to cancel my pet insurance?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby willaburh » Thu Jan 30, 1997 6:42 pm

Basically I got upset with my pet insurance because they ignored medical records that clearly state my cats lungs were healthy and are trying to say he manifested chronic lung disease at a young age when he didn't. I wrote an email telling them how appalled I am at their taking only certain medical records into consideration while ignoring others, and that I would be canceling my policy and telling my vet to warn their patients.

Problem is, now that I'm calm I'm scared to drop the policy in case something comes up they would have covered. Do I have to cancel now that I said I would?

Better yet, does anyone have the name of a good pet insurance they suggest I switch to?
willaburh

Postby ignacio » Sat Jul 25, 1998 9:16 pm

I researched pet insurance when I adopted my dogs from the shelter 8 years ago. Basically, I thought it was a waste of money - and expensive. Even though my dogs were only about 4 months old when I adopted them -it was going to cost me $50 a month (per dog) and it did not pay for conditions that were breed specific. Example: a dachshund slipping a disc in their back because Doxie's are prone to that.

So, I chose to self insure.

Take the $50 a month you would spend on pet insurance premiums and put it in a savings account. That is your "pet emergency fund". Do not touch that money for anything other than a pet emergency. I let mine build up to about $2500. But that's because 2 of my dogs have health conditions.

Using my pet emergency fund, I have paid for 1 FHO surgery that my female needed at 4 years of age (cost: $2400) and 1 enculeation surgery my male needed at 7 (cost $1800). The disease that caused my male to lose his eye last year has struck his remaining eye. So he'll probably lose that one in the next year. Not a problem - I maintain an emergency fund. I'll take the money out to pay for the surgery and build the fund back up.

My female is a GSD mix. She had FHO surgery because she has hip displaysia. The pet insurance would not have covered that anyway since GSD's are prone to this condition. She's on pain meds now for her other hip. But again, don't think pet insurance would have paid for that because it is for her hip displaysia. But- one of her drugs is a people drug that is Wal-mart's $4 drug list. So I get my vet to call in a script to them. The other pill is an animal only drug - but you can buy those on line with a vet script or get your vet to sell it to you in bulk. When you have an animal that's on meds for the rest of their life - most vets will sell it to you in bulk at their cost.

Personally, I'd cancel the pet insurance. Unless the policies have radically changed since I looked at them 8 years ago - It's a waste of money. You can take the premiums that you are paying and put them in a savings account and cash flow most of your pets vet care and maintain an emergency fund "if something should come up".

But no, you don't have to cancel the policy if you don't want to.
ignacio

Postby eduardo » Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:30 am

I assume
from what you've said
that your pet insurance company is refusing to pay out
because they are claiming that the 'lung disease' was a 'pre-existing' condition
even though your vets records show that it isn't.

If it isn't, and your vet has the records to prove it .. claim again !
eduardo

Postby jaime » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:20 pm

Why throw good money after bad.

I have done cat rescue for a couple decades, and NEVER buy pet insurance. It's a waste of your money. Your claim problems are typical. It's very difficult to get DISEASE covered.
jaime

Postby druson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:36 am

MSAD is giving you the best answer. it's much cheaper to self-insure on your pets. i realize that now your cat has the chronic lung disease so every other insurance company is now going to find that a pre-existing condition. i would follow the advice of answer #1--re-file the claim with your documentation, possibly asking your vet to write a specific letter and then just self-insure from here on out. we have 1 dog and 2 cats, we put about $40-$50 in a special savings account every month, so far--we have only had to vet our animals for normal things (spray, neuter and shots)---but the account has plenty of money should anything serious come up.
druson

Postby wryhta49 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:59 am

Basically I got upset with my pet insurance because they ignored medical records that clearly state my cats lungs were healthy and are trying to say he manifested chronic lung disease at a young age when he didn't. I wrote an email telling them how appalled I am at their taking only certain medical records into consideration while ignoring others, and that I would be canceling my policy and telling my vet to warn their patients.

Problem is, now that I'm calm I'm scared to drop the policy in case something comes up they would have covered. Do I have to cancel now that I said I would?

Better yet, does anyone have the name of a good pet insurance they suggest I switch to?
wryhta49

Return to Pet Insurance