Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Goldfish

Discussion forum for Insurance Agents

Goldfish

Postby Bink » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:54 am

peeling goldfish

We have a large fish tank(I think 55 gallon) with 2 large goldfish and a sucker fish.(all three started out as small walmart fish)

This morning my daughter found one of our goldfish on the carpet.  His skin was very dry and was having a hard time breathing. I put him back in the fish tank and after a few minutes his breathing and swimming was back to normal.  But now his skin is peeling.

He doesn't seem sick.  I'm figuring that the peeling is from being dryed out but is there something I can do to help him and can his peeling hurt the other fish in the tank?

Thank You,

Vicki
Bink

Goldfish

Postby Reyhurn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:17 am

Hi Vicki,

I would remove the 'sucker' fish asap if you can into another tank.  Plecos are notorious for sucking the slime coat off of goldfish opening them up to a host of bacterial and parasitic infections.  They really should not be kept with goldfish.

I would definitely add 1 tsp. per 5 gallons of water of aquarium salt, the recommended dose on the bottle of Melafix, and the recommended dose on the bottle of API's Stress Coat.  All of these things will help stimulate the slime coat growth(which is what has dried out and is peeling) and the Melafix will help ward off a bacterial infection waiting to happen from the trauma.  None of these things will hurt the other fish.

Keep an eye on him for a few days to make sure he doesn't show any other outward signs of an infection and do bi-weekly 20% water changes to keep the water extra clean until he heals.

I would also try and lower the water level in the tank or secure a lid onto your tank so that he doesn't jump out again.  Many fish will jump when startled or in a noisy room.

Good luck :) April M.
Reyhurn

Return to Insurance Agents