Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Do find that with out health insurance and lots of money, good health care is a myth in the USA?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Do find that with out health insurance and lots of money, good health care is a myth in the USA?

Postby banbhan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 pm

IF you can't afford health insurance and your job doesn't have it for you, you can't get good heath care in this country unless you are on your death bed? Then legally a hospital can't turn you away. That is what I am seeing now in the health care system.
banbhan

Postby abban77 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 pm

In many cases, yes. I guess I am lucky, I found a medical group which works on a sliding scale instead of insurance. Basically you pay what you can afford and you do get good health care. Too bad there are not more of these groups.
abban77

Postby severn » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 pm

It's a pretty crazy Swiss cheese system. Getting health insurance on the open market is a real challenge and largely has fit the old argument about getting a bank loan, you first have to prove you don't need it. At the moment, it is largely a function of either money or you are fortunate enough to be employed by an employer with a good health plan. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of governmental systems--if you qualify--or you wait until it is so bad, an ER visit is required. One untold story than many folks would not want to hear is what your health insurance does NOT cover. Usually, folks get that news when the managed care company says "sorry, we don't cover aortic valve replacements without 60 days prior written approval."

Whether you like it the new healthcare law or not, it is an attempt to fix a very broken system. Whether it continues on, or is replaced with something else, I hope we can come up with a workable system that does not bankrupt people or condemn them to avoiding care due to costs. Yes, yes, people need to live healthy lifestyles and be responsible--I am all good with that. We often live with the assumption we will be healthy well into old age, but sometimes nature has other ideas.
severn

Postby frederik86 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Compared to the myriad of problems we are faced with in the economy, I see health care as a rather minor issue. The fact that our president keeps obsessing over it is moronic. If he actually exercised leadership to fix the economy (which he is incapable of doing) these problems would work themselves out.
frederik86

Postby erich » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 pm

3 years ago i had a hernia repaired. no insurance at my job, and none anywhere else. i've been paying the bill ever since. it'll be 4 years of poverty for me until it's all paid.

however, i did get quality health care by dedicated professionals.

i'm gonna feel like the sultan of brunai when it's all paid and over with.

one more year to go.
erich

Postby conlin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Oh it isn't a myth, it just costs money, as it always has.
The difference is, I no longer get stuck with paying the bills of those who don't act responsibly and care for their own needs and the needs of their own families.
We now ask all to act Responsibly and do what is rational.
conlin

Postby achazya43 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Even with health insurance good health care is a myth in the USA. Try being self-employed and see what type of coverage you get for the price, it's a complete rip-off. Health care should not be in the business of making profit, period.
achazya43

Postby nosh » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:28 pm

If the government wasn't in cahoots with the drug companies and the health care providers medical care would be affordable.
nosh

Return to Health & Medical Insurance