Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Driver Insurance instead of Car Insurance?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby kerry29 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:36 am

Is there such a thing as an insurance that insures the driver not the car? My son is at college 8 months out of the year and is only home to drive a car 4 of those months. The car insurance company says we must put him as a Primary driver on one of our cars, which is rediculous because he hardly ever drives! I was wondering if I could remove him from my car insurance and get some other kind of insurance that just covers him when he drives our vehicles. Does anything like this exist and if so, where would I get it?
kerry29

Postby tamas55 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:37 am

Is there such a thing as an insurance that insures the driver not the car? My son is at college 8 months out of the year and is only home to drive a car 4 of those months. The car insurance company says we must put him as a Primary driver on one of our cars, which is rediculous because he hardly ever drives! I was wondering if I could remove him from my car insurance and get some other kind of insurance that just covers him when he drives our vehicles. Does anything like this exist and if so, where would I get it?
That kind of insurance exists. It is called "Non owners insurance". It is only liability insurance and only covers other peoples property. It does not cover damages to the car he is driving. It only covers liability for a car that the driver does not own.......To buy it, contact an independent insurance agent.
But... I would never buy such a policy.
Some insurance companies play this silly game. A good decent company would cover your Son, (Unless state laws prevent it) because as a full time college student attending school away from home he is still LEGALLY a household resident and therefore would be covered as an occasional driver of a household car if he has a valid drivers license. Check your States law on this first and if the law allows it, switch insurance companies to one who will allow it..
tamas55

Postby culloden » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 am

Call an agent of the Progressive Insurance Company. They have written such a policy in certain states. It is not an easy policy to write except on a special risk basis.

As an old insurance agent of 25+ years experience when questions such as this came up I'd suggest removing the son from your policy when he is away at school as he will not be driving a family car and presumably not need coverage from that policy as he was not a named insured by definition [just an added driver]. When he returns home he can always be re-added by written letter or a telephone confirmation and be covered. If you have more than one car in the family you should not be required to add him to other than the actual car he will be driving.

You should be aware listed drivers other than the parents are not covered when driving rental or borrowed cars other than the actual cars listed on the family policy..That coverage only covers the named insured and spouse.
culloden

Postby lynford75 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:03 am

Technically, all auto insurance is driver insurance, because most insurances will cover you no matter what vehicle you're driving. One trick I've found, is simple. If you have 2 vehicles and 3 drivers, you can't have 2 primary drivers. If you have 3 cars and 3 drivers, put your son as the primary on the cheapest car to insure, and tell them that he rarely drives it for the reason you mentioned. I'm not sure who you have for insurance, but with my insurance I explained that I work from home, and so I don't drive my car for work except one or two days a week, so they adjusted my insurance based on that.
lynford75

Postby roe98 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:06 am

Try this: Take him off your insurance altogether and then when he comes home take out a temporary insurance for him for the time he is at home. Do that each time he is home. I used to do this with my daughter when we al went on holiday for a week at a time. Ask and I am as sure as I can be that you will find you can do it. I have no idea of the costs involved.

I do not know about US law but insurers seem to operate the same way and they would like your premium.
roe98

Postby yoel90 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:18 am

It depends what country your in.
I would shop arround and try other insurance companies, when insured in the uk , the insured driver is usually covered to drive any other car third party only as well as the car primaraly insured for.
I am sure he could be put as an additional driver on your policy.
yoel90

Return to Car Insurance