Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

I don't get it...0bamacare is officially?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby caddarik23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:36 am

known as the Health Care Affordability Act...So far, it's made my health insurance and health care more expensive. Will my rates go back down at some point? When can i expect that to happen?
caddarik23

Postby diederich61 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:38 am

Most insurance companies raised their premiums in anticipation of the ACA, because once it comes into full force, they won't be able to without good reason.

They're soaking us now, because the ACA stops that in the future. That's how the free market works.

Sometime this fall though, you should expect a "refund" check from your insurance provider though. And once the law comes into effect, your rates should either go down slightly, or stabilize (not rise).
diederich61

Postby elmoor72 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:44 am

Sigh...And what had your premiums done over the past 10 years? Had they been going down or at least stayed the same? The answer to that is no, unless you have been living in Massachusetts since 2006, where their rates have gone up the least of the 50 states.

Go on and pretend it is because of the ACA. Then tell us what would have happened without it.

Here's a chart of spending on health care over the last 70 years. http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?ch=854
And this is a graph of private insurance for the last 10 years. http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?ch=2513
And this is a graph of what has happened to insurance premiums over that same period, including the additional amount employees have had to contribute. http://facts.kff.org/chart.aspx?ch=2515

Now, since most of the provisions go into effect in 2014, years after all these charts, please explain to me how ACA caused your premiums to go up.!
elmoor72

Postby aisley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 am

The official title is: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)

The individual mandate won't go into effect until 2014. The Supreme Court ruling cited a study that shows the price families pay for cost shifting from people who don't pay insurance for the own health care is $1000 per family today. The individual mandate is meant to reverse that.
aisley

Postby wahkan37 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:03 am

If your Health Insurance premiums, deductibles, or co-pays have gone UP since passage of the Act on 21 May, 2010, then you have grounds to sue either your employer (who may be an ignorant fool), or the insurance provider (who would then be guilty of fraud, pure & simple)...if your rates went UP, then the details of your coverage must have changed and you no longer have to pay for things you did before....if you don't NEED them, then opt out!

I think you are either trolling, or are the "unluckiest, least-educated, and least-attentive person" on Yahoo!Answers.... Way to go!
wahkan37

Postby nik » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 am

Yea

the name is a fake out to get public support (it is failing at that)

Just like claiming the 20 new and increased taxes held within it don't exist.

Just like telling the Supreme Court they are "wrong" about the tax not really being a tax.

@FORGET MORE

BS...it is partially in effect. and the industry is going to make preparatory changes before the first day it takes effect so that they are ready for the law.
nik

Postby holdyn95 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:20 am

NO ONE who ever claimed it would do otherwise cited ANY language from it in support of their claim.

Among those who read EVEN A PORTION of the law, there is nearly universal agreement it will dramatically accelerate cost-escalation. After all, each and every act of government intervention in any market anywhere - ever - has always done so. No exceptions.
holdyn95

Postby llevelys39 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 am

You are not being observant. What ACA does is LOWER the rate of increase in health insurance costs. And that will kick in in 2014 when the law is applied. What you are experiencing now is what the Republican "plan" is doing.

You are living proof that ignorance is not bliss.
llevelys39

Postby ambrosi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:35 am

And you think it is because of the health care act that your rates have become more expensive!!??**!!

Do you honestly believe they wouldn't have gone up otherwise, when people are dropping out of insurance like flies???
ambrosi

Postby cyneric » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:39 am

It can't have made your health care more expensive if it's not actually been enacted.
cyneric

Next

Return to Health & Medical Insurance