Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

My dog has terrible teeth but I can't afford a vet.?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby roswalt51 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36 am

Someone on the street gave her to me two years ago. She's a eleven-year-old miniature poodle and has tar all over her teeth and her breath smells absolutely terrible. I can't afford a vet, i don't even have enough money for my own health insurance. She never seems unhappy or bothered about her teeth and eats normally. What could I do to help her?
roswalt51

Postby dougal49 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 am

Someone on the street gave her to me two years ago. She's a eleven-year-old miniature poodle and has tar all over her teeth and her breath smells absolutely terrible. I can't afford a vet, i don't even have enough money for my own health insurance. She never seems unhappy or bothered about her teeth and eats normally. What could I do to help her?
You might be able to get her to chew on a piece of rolled up rawhide, available everywhere. I found this does an excellent job on helping my dogs keep their teeth clean, however like Moondog says, if you don't get this taken care of the infection around the teeth (which is what causes the horrible odor) will get into the blood stream and eventually affect the heart. The longer you wait the more expensive will be the procedure as several teeth will have to be removed. The only solution I can see here is to either get in touch with poodle rescue and see if they can help financially (I know Sheltie rescue does this), or go here and see if you are eligible for financial aid;
http://www.pgaa.com/financialaid.html
You might have to turn her in to a shelter if you can't fix her teeth.
dougal49

Postby forgael » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 am

Buy some DIY cleaning teeth at a pet shop. Also, check your local dog grooming place. some usually hold specific days where you can bring in your dog for teeth cleaning at a much cheaper price than a vet (and since your poodle is 11 years old, you might want to look into non-anesthetic dog teeth cleaning to reduce any risk). They can run for about 200 dollars but any vet will assure you that the 200 dollars are well worth investing rather than possible infections, tumors, or surgeries that can be caused by unhealthy teeth and gums.
forgael

Postby helaku » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 am

All you can do is start saving your money now, because this dog is going to need a dental very soon.
Bad or abscessed teeth and gum disease causes heart problems.
helaku

Postby eduardo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 am

This is normal for when dogs age the teeth are decaying wich will make her breath smell. what you could do is get some dog dental liguid with a songy stick dip sponge stick in liquid and bush her teeth with it that is the chapest way to go. Dogs cost money and i know times are hard but that dog is gonna need a vet sometime so just keep that in mind.

good a dog that old doesn't need to be chewing on bones whe will loose more teeth that way.
eduardo

Postby fabrice » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 am

I agree with that second guy, you should buy a dog toothbrush and toothpaste yourself. Your dog will probably think it's weird and try to squirm away at first, but the toothpaste is made to taste good to dogs, so it shouldn't be too bad. That will definitely help.
fabrice

Postby bercleah » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 am

You could buy a dog toothbrush and dog toothpaste and brush the dogs teeth yourself
bercleah

Postby heath50 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:23 am

You could start with brushing her teeth twice a day with doggy teeth care, and also buy dental care food. And maybe start saving for the vet...?
heath50

Postby donnachadh » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 am

Unfortunately dogs of this age often do need dental treatment, some extractions too maybe. Dental checkups are as important for dogs when it comes to their overall health, as for us (she says, hating dentists) so as soon as you can put together enough money, please get this done. She maybe coping with her poor teeth and gums right now, but she can't be comfortable and at her age, deserves a pain-free old age!

Add I meant to say dogs can develop oral cancer - and I lost an elderly one to this. I'd had to delay his routine dental check, nursing his sister through cancer to the end (and fighting various vets along the way). It may not have made any difference - a tiny tumour was discovered right at the back of his mouth and it was malignant - but I still feel guilty about what happened.
donnachadh

Return to Health & Medical Insurance