Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Does Pet insurance cover attacks on humans? People with Pet insurance or Legal pet question?

Insurance for your furry friends

Does Pet insurance cover attacks on humans? People with Pet insurance or Legal pet question?

Postby mardon31 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:42 pm

I checked several insurances and they only cover health problems. The reason I am asking is because my "intelligent" landlord wants me to get insurance. Is pet insurance mandatory to get in Los Angeles, or California. I looked it up and from what I know its not a law. I know neurtering, rabies shots, and vaccinations are required but Insurance?
mardon31

Postby linleah » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 pm

look into renters insurance and see if they would cover a problem if your dog bit somebody and what the stipulations are, biting someone in hallway, within your apartment, in the parking lot, off apt premises, etc.

I think the landlord is being too picky

I have lived in many apartments with pet and never have run into what you are running into, most apartments just ask for pet deposit,

is landlord flexible--can landlord handle you not doing what she/he wants?, if not look into what I say above,

consider living somewhere else in the future, this problem should have been discussed before you signed lease and I blame this on landlord

article below about a neat pet insurance company in Ohio
linleah

Postby langleah » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Your LL is an idiot.
langleah

Postby roe98 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 pm

General Home Insurance is supposed to cover your pets actions in and around the home should they bite or attack a person, another animal, etc. 'Pet Insurance' simply covers a pet's health. Call your home insurance and see if they cover your dogs breed, a lot refuse to cover certain breeds (which is a huge pet peeve of mine, blaming entire breeds for actions of few in that breed).
roe98

Postby adiv » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Maybe your "intelligent" landlord does not want to get sued if your dog bites someone. Either get the insurance or get rid of the pet. It may not be law, but there are also no laws that give you the right to have a pet on someone else's property.

Kudos to your landlord for thinking ahead and covering his butt.
adiv

Postby eames » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:02 am

You can't have "homeowner"s insurance" if you're renting.

You can contact your insurance agent about Renter's Insurance, and ask if it covers liability for pets.

He can require it if he puts it in writing in your lease, just like some landlords require renter's insurance for tenants with water beds. Double check your rights and responsibilities with an attorney.
eames

Return to Pet Insurance