Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Does Anyone want to answer my Question? I Just don't get it!?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby anoki » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:22 pm

I need help. I know nothing about this stuff ....I have a question that I need to answer ..and I'm sitting here puzzled as hell, because I don't understand how ANY of this works.

It says "Assume you are on a jury in a case in which you believe that a health insurance policy was wrongfully terminated and that a policyholder ultimately died as a result of being unable to afford proper treatment. Assume further that you are instructed that you may assign any amount you wish in the form of punitive damages"

I don't know ANYTHING about this crap. Can someone please put this more in to laments terms ..just so I can write a paragraph or two and get this part over with!
anoki

Postby terrelle40 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:27 pm

There is a handle in this question, the word "assume", it can also mean imagine.
So, put yourself in the place of a person on the jury, that is about to make this decision:-
How much money for damages would you award? To guide you, it is a fact that the Mafia charge 1 Million for a contract to kill any person on planet earth. They always keep such contracts!
So, the bottom line is that the insured person died. I would recommend that you would access the damages at 1 Million, or somewhere near there.
The rest of the jury might not agree with you!
terrelle40

Postby dedrik » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 pm

An health insurance company canceled a policy, or dropped a policy on a patient, probably because the patient was going to be sick a lot and cost them (the insurance company) a LOT of money. They didn't want to pay out a lot of money, so they canceled the policy.

Cancellation meant the patient would have to pay all of his medical bills in full right out of his own money, and he couldn't afford to do that. He went without health care after that, health care that was badly needed. He couldn't get treatment and probably not medication so he died.

The 'punitive' damages will not go to the patient, because he died. Punitive is the amount owed to the patient for pain and suffering, or to his family or who ever brought the lawsuit.

******Maybe the whole case will get dismissed because the guy died so he can't sue because he's dead. Look up the meaning of punitive damages. If punitive damages don't cover any medical bills or pain and suffering for the family member bringing the suit, then you assign NO amount because there IS no case cuz he died.
dedrik

Postby bamey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Pretend you are a member of a jury at a court hearing.
The scenario: A man died because he couldn't pay for medical treatment. He believed that he was insured, but his insurance comapny said he wasn't. Hence, they didn't pay and he died.
But now a court has decided that the insurance company had wrongfully ended the insurance policy, so the man who died WAS insured for medical cover after all.
You have to decide how much compensation the mans family should recieve for the insurance companies mistake.
bamey

Postby hamon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:55 pm

The health insurance policy was disconnected or broken due to a bad reason. The person who paid for the policy died because without the policy they couldn't afford life saving care. Punitive damages are damages such as money meant for the purpose of preventing others from doing a similar thing. Usually in huge amounts so companies will decide a particular thing is a bad idea and a loss on their part if they do it. I hope that helped.
hamon

Postby mahoney » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I think it's staring that a person "policy holder" died because their Heath insurance somehow disappeared, so they could not pay for their medical expenses at the hospital and as a result they died. The question I think is.. How much should the person's family claim against the Heath care company? How much money for that technical mistake?
mahoney

Postby ailen40 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Did someone die as a result of an insurance company blowing off someones policy so the insurance company wouldn't have to pay...If you have a chance to see the movie Rainmaker" you would enjoy it.
ailen40

Postby godfredo13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi Alex,

Please repost in Legal in Yahoo answers thank you.

Good Luck.

Best Wishes.

Mars Mission Soon In A Galaxy Near Yours..

Source(s):

Studies..
godfredo13

Postby darius » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Seems simple enough. Get some fresh air and think about it. You'll get it.
darius

Return to Health & Medical Insurance