Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Does Anyone Know Of A Charity Or An Organisation That Will Help With Vets Bill? Labrador-hips-£10,000?

Insurance for your furry friends

Does Anyone Know Of A Charity Or An Organisation That Will Help With Vets Bill? Labrador-hips-£10,000?

Postby Haethowine » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:46 pm

The first question I would ask you, is the dog suffering? One of my own dogs has dreadful hip dysplasia but genuinely does not appear to be suffering from this condition. I would be the first to admit that when she runs her movement is awkward and some days she seems a bit stiff, but I am certain that she has a good quality of life. She is always "up for a walk", plays happily with my other dog, is never snappy or bad tempered although she must suffer a certain amount of discomfort. We attend agility, obedience and shutzhund training, and although she will never compete, she enjoys every minute of the classes.

Two years ago, the vet examined the X-rays (but not the dog) and promptly told me the animal was in incredible pain (for which I saw no evidence) and the choice was hip replacement or euthanasia. Although I am in a position where I can afford the cost of replacement hips, I decided against for the following reasons.

She is a happy, active and otherwise healthy dog, the surgery is major, highly traumatic and would render the dog inactive for months, I didn't think this was fair to her. I manage whatever discomfort she has to good effect with herbal and homoeopathic medicines, frequent but light exercise and of course a healthy natural BARF diet.

I love this dog dearly and hopefully she will grow into old age, but if things get to bad, she will tell me it's time to go, then I will do the proper thing for her. There are many dogs like mine with bad hips (and other joints) who live healthy active lives without surgery, and let's not forget the vet isn't always right.
Haethowine

Postby Orahamm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 am

The PDSA and other animals charities are not able to afford to cover expensive operations such as hip surgery, however if you are in receipt of certain benefits they may be able to provide some medication which may help.
Your friend may discuss other options with the vet if they cannot afford the treatment offered so that a less expensive option can be taken, even as a temporary measure until your friend manages to obtain enough money to cover the costs
Orahamm

Postby Burlie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 pm

pdsa in uk will help you for sure
Burlie

Postby Boell » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 am

You could try Blue Cross, PDSA, and RSPCA it is worth asking they sometimes help out for people on low income.
Boell

Postby Early » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:29 am

A chiropractor might be able to help the dog and it will cost a lot less than an operation. Investigate what a chiropractor can do on the Internet. Each treatment costs about £25 and it can relieve a dogs pain.

If you are in the UK and are on benefits contact the PD SA and register with them, or contact Dogs Trust for free treatment.
Early

Postby Aodhfionn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:29 pm

The PDSA will sometimes help if you are on a low income.
Aodhfionn

Postby Deke » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:51 am

The Humane Society of the U.S. has this page of suggestions for what to do when you can't afford veterinary care for your pet: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/what_y... but links to places that can help may well be specific to this country. Then again, some of them might work for you as well.

I looked on the RSPCA website and they do have some low-cost veterinary clinics.
They suggest " you can search for establishments which provide 'help with vet bills' in the local RSPCA section" which is at this link: http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellit...

Another idea might be to contact a nearby veterinary school and see if they can perform this surgery as a teaching opportunity for their students, at a lower cost.

Best of luck to you as you search for solutions.
Deke

Return to Pet Insurance